Chapter 30 - Funeral for the Fallen

The archangel collapsed, dropping to the ground heavily. Leus—who'd witnessed the exchange with increasing incredulity, since the prince had dragged in the demon commander by the scruff of his neck and deposited him with Nicon—dropped the bandages he was holding and quickly ran over and checked the archangel's pulse. He was alive—just unconscious. Leus heaved him onto his shoulders with the aid of a couple of elves, and dragged the prince into the area where they were treating the wounded. The wings on his back hung limply, and Leus instructed one of the elves to carefully lift the massive wings so they didn't drag on the ground.

Leus placed the angel on the bed, lifting the upper body upright so the wings were not crushed, and the elf who worked in the area moved closer to inspect the wounds on his body. She immediately grabbed a fresh roll of bandages and began to bandage the wounds on his legs.

Leus peered more closely at the archangel and noted that his previously deep blue-black hair was streaked with crimson. Regardless, he noticed that the archangel had a well-sculpted face with prominent cheekbones, as well as long dark eyelashes that cast a shadow under the eyes.

He really is beautiful, Leus thought, Just like him...

Leus blinked when the image disappeared from his mind, but he still couldn't help himself from thinking about the handsome archangel and of the person in Sanobar with similar facial features.

A moment later, a familiar voice called out from behind him, "What are you doing here?" Leus turned his head slightly, seeing Altein standing there, leaning against one of the walls, looking very concerned.

"I was just bringing an injured warrior here for treatment. Are you all right, sir?" Leus replied.

"No need for honorifics... just call me Altein," The dwarf grunted.

Leus continued, turning around again to face the angel, "Since I don't have any powers, they did not deem me fit for the battlefield, so I've been treating the wounds of the injured soldiers here."

"The elf in charge was very surprised at my skill in bandaging quickly and efficiently," He added, somewhat defensively.

It was something of a sore point for him that he'd been the only one in their little group to not awaken any powers at all—even Lirya had awakened a circlet, although she had no powers she could make use of just yet.

Feeling parched, he reached for his water skin and took a big gulp.

Altein raised a bushy eyebrow, peered at the unconscious archangel, and remarked, "That being over there basically turned the tide of the battle and won it single handedly. He captured the first demon commander and made the other one turn on its own kind and destroy the entire army—and the succubus obeyed!"

Leus choked, spat the water out, and descended into a coughing fit.

"He did WHAT?!" Two voices shouted in unison.

Lirya walked in, her face the picture of astonishment.

<--<< >>-->

The archangel had vanquished the large demon, sure, but he looked pretty frail. To get a demon commander to obey him...

Lirya strode over to the unconscious archangel and peered at him.

She frowned and lifted a strand of the archangel's crimson hair.

"Did his hair get more red?" She wondered.

It's not just a little bit, either! Maybe it's an archangel thing...?

Lirya turned around and peered at Leus, letting the archangel's hair slip from her fingertips.