Chapter 3 - Dinner with the Royals

"What in the Abyss?!" Lasair yelled, scattering a flock of birds perched on the nearby roofs, "You're the crown prince?!"

Adrian turned around, spotted Lasair and his face morphed into a grin as he jogged over to the two men.

He greeted them with a cheery wave.

"Fancy meeting you here, Lasair. Oh, I haven't got anything more on me, by the way," Adrian joked, then looked over at the other man, "And this must be your... travelling companion?"

He nodded and stuck his hand out warily, "My name's Kylian, your highness. Also... you seem awfully trusting of us, considering your status..."

Adrian's grin faded slightly, but he shrugged and replied, "Yes, well... I choose to trust. If I cannot even trust my people, how can I one day rule over them?"

Lasair, sensing the opportunity, fumbled at his pocket and withdrew the royal emblem.

He handed it over sheepishly and muttered, "We brought it for you... since you dropped it..."

Kylian peered at Lasair, his face displaying awestruck disbelief at the sheer audacity of Lasair's bare-faced lie in the face of the royal. Lasair merely plastered a smile on his face as Adrian plucked it from his outstretched hand and tossed it into a pouch dangling from his belt like it was loose change.

Adrian beamed and said, "Doesn't that make me right about you guys? Thanks for bringing it back!"

By Pelos, I pray he never finds out we thought he was a thief! Lasair thought anxiously, maintaining a polite smile.

The booming tower bell could be heard dimly from the city centre.

Adrian jumped at the sound and yelped, "I've got to get going! I'm late!"

He said his hurried goodbyes and turned, sprinting back toward the castle.

<--<< >>-->

Adrian dashed up the grand staircase, passing a few surprised servants on the way. The castle was magnificently decorated on the inside, although the exterior was bare. Passed down through the generations, each inhabitant had added their own touch to the place, breathing life into the once-bare fortress. Rich tapestries and thick carpets littered the place, making it unbearable in the summer but comfy in the winter.

Thank Pelos I decided to have my room on the first floor, Adrian thought, Unlike Leyon... I mean, who wants to walk all the way up when you can have a closer room?!

He rushed to his room and threw open the doors of his wardrobe, grabbing a silky tunic and leggings. Quickly stripping off his old clothes, he changed into the new ones in a flash and tossed the old clothes in a corner behind some curtains.

He was just about to bolt out the door when he turned back, grabbed his circlet off his nightstand and stuck it firmly on his head.

A few moments and a quick sprint later, Adrian stood in front of a set of imposing double doors. He stood still for a moment, straightening his clothes and flattening his ruffled hair. Then, he took a deep breath and pushed open the doors.

<--<< >>-->

It was bright and warm inside the dining hall. Adrian's family already sat at the table, and he felt all of their gazes directed to him as he walked in and took his seat at the table.

"Adrian, You're late! Where have you been?" His mother asked, with a slight frown on her face.

Queen Elysadora was a beautiful woman with the signature pale blonde hair of the Ravenstorm family and striking blue eyes. Her husband was a bearish man with dark brown curls and similar hazel eyes. He had a thick beard run through with streaks of grey. Despite his imposing stature, he was a warm hearted man.