Chapter 5 - Rainy Night Catastrophe

The sky was dark overhead, with grey clouds dimly illuminated by the glowing moon. The orange glow of flames faded as the Blackrose royals rode further from the castle and town. In front of them, flat plains spread out far and wide and beyond that rose a thick forest. It was towards the forest that they rode.

Adrian turned forward, his heart racing, and urged his horse to faster speeds. The demon hound was tailing them closely. An arrow whizzed past his face, narrowly missing him, and Adrian flinched, but kept control of his horse.

Oh gods above! He thought, Pelos save us all!

"Ride to the forest!" King Aeraias yelled, "And split up! Don't let yourself become a target!"

Another arrow flew by, this time landing in the ground beside the king's horse, startling it.

Aeraias swiftly brought the horse back under control and continued, "We'll meet in Kenstel! Kenstel, alright!? Seek the guardians!"

Adrian nodded and veered right. Zaiela joined him and Leyon continued forward. Queen Elysadora rode left with Elvina and king Aeraias followed them.

As Adrian continued to ride, the darkness closed in and a light drizzle of rain fell, soon turning to a downpour. He dared to take a peek back again and saw nothing but darkness.

He slowed down, then stopped completely. Adrian got off his horse and stood silently for a moment, the rain drenching his whole body. Zaiela followed suit, throwing him a questioning glance.

"It's... gone," He whispered, no longer hearing the terrifying thundering steps of the demon hound, but instead the sound of rainfall and his harsh, rasping breaths.

"We should keep going," Zaiela said quietly, "Kenstel is within Throeyns territory, so we've got a long way to go..."

"Wait... no, what about Eli and Leyon and father and mother?!" Adrian protested, "We should go back to make sure they're safe!"

Zaiela grabbed his arm and held him from getting back on his horse.

"No! Adrian, father told us to wait in Kenstel! We cannot go back!" She protested.

Adrian's eyes met hers and he recognised the emotions brimming within them—fear and worry and anguish.

He sighed and gave her a hug, offering whatever comfort he could.

"You're right, Zai... but can we at least head diagonally? Perhaps we could meet Leyon o-or..."

She gripped him a little tighter and whispered, "Yes... let's do that."

<--<< >>-->

The relentless rain beat against his face as Aeraias rode northeast with Queen Elysadora and Elvina and the demon pursued them relentlessly.

How did they breach the castle?! He wondered, A traitor? No... if that had been the case, we wouldn't have made it out alive. As far-fetched as it sounds, magic is the other suspect.

An arrow flew by and he heard a gasp. He looked up and saw, to his horror, an arrow lodged in Elysadora's arm. She barely flinched and kept up the pace. He knew, as well as she did, that to stop was to face certain death.

Aeraias gritted his teeth and withdrew a small dagger from his horse's saddlebag. Raising himself slightly from the saddle, he twisted his body to face the demons chasing them. He waited for the right moment and threw the dagger with as much force as he could muster. His eyes met the crimson, snake-like eyes of the demon archer as it loosed another arrow that flew past him. The dagger flew straight and true, burying itself in the chest of the demon archer, and it was thrown off the demon hound with a dying screech. He had no time to celebrate, as he turned back only to see the arrow hit Elysadora's horse. The horse started, losing its rhythm and it collapsed, throwing its riders off its back.