Bruised

Grady was right. It wouldn't make any difference. Even if I had blown the audition, Mom would have found another way to get what she wanted. I firmly believed that after our "serious talk" the next day.

I woke up early, every muscle in my body aching. I could barely move without something feeling sore. Despite my exhaustion, I couldn't fall back asleep. My mind worried over what was going to happen next. It's a terrible feeling to believe you have no control over your own life.

After squeezing my eyes shut and counting sheep for fifteen minutes, I gave up and climbed out of bed, slowly while wincing. All I need is a hot bath, I told myself, but this time I couldn't convince myself it was true. Mom had set her sights on me and I couldn't see a way out.

Grabbing a towel from the closet shelf, I tossed it into the make-up chair in the corner and turned on the taps. My thoughts drifted as I held my fingers under the water before settling on the perfect temperature.

As I undressed and soaked in the tub, I tried to find peace in my mind, but it wouldn't come to me. Even the lavender scented bath oil was no help. I concentrated on my breathing and my aching muscles slowly relaxed as the minutes flew by and finally, finally, I began to relax.

Knock, knock, knock. Mom's stern tapping on the door jolted me from my relaxed state.

"Lindy! Are you almost done? We need to get to practice."

My heart sank and I sat up in the tub, pulling the curtain. "Mom! I'm sore. I don't want to go."

"Honey, you have to," Mom wheedled. "They want you to dance."

I rolled my eyes, listening to Mom, her voice softened by the hard wood door between us. "But I don't want to dance."

"Now, you cannot honestly mean that. No one could have danced as well as you did yesterday if they didn't love every minute of it." Her tone softened once more and I imagined her, one hand pressed against the door as she leaned against, hoping I would go along with her plans. "You have a gift, Lindy. It would be a crime not to share it with the world."

"No one will even notice me, Mom. They want me to be a back-up dancer."

"Oh, they will!" Mom hurried to assure me. "This is just the beginning, Lindy. Mark my words."

I turned on the water, her words trailing off under the crashing noise. I had heard my brother say something similar. Grady was right, I thought once more.

"Lindy, now we are just going to have to have a talk," Mom shouted through the door, struggling to be heard over the running water.

I ignored her as the tears stung my eyes.

"I'm giving you fifteen more minutes and then you better be downstairs, young lady," Mom yelled.

Muffled voices followed her proclamation and, in spite of my resolve not to care, I turned off the tap. I had to hear what was going on.

"What's going on?" Grady's voice was low and he sounded sleepy. "Why are shouting?"

"Lindy does not want to cooperate," Mom said. I could tell she was speaking through clenched teeth and I grinned.

"Does she ever?" Grady grumbled. "Just leave her alone. She's not worth it."

"Grady, of course she is," Mom said brightly. I could tell she was speaking loudly, hoping I would hear. "I just don't understand why your sister can't see the talent she has to offer."

"She's not that talented. Are we ready to go? We're going to be late."

"I suppose so," Mom said reluctantly. "Tonight when we get home, we're having a family meeting. It's time to get your Dad involved."

"Dad's coming?" Grady asked, sounding instantly more alert. I felt the same hope rising in my chest that was apparent in Grady's voice.

"Of course not," Mom said. "He's working. We'll get him on speakerphone. It's time we get some things sorted out."

I flipped on the tap as hard as I could, drowning out both of them. My eyes narrowed as I thought. I found I agreed with Mom.

It was time to get some things sorted out.