The Plan

I was mad. And hurt. And terribly, terribly heartbroken. Because, even though I put up a fight, a part of me knew that I wasn’t going to have a choice. It was going to end the same way, no matter what I did. But at least I tried.

“No!” My voice exploded through the air like a gunshot. All the years of pent up frustration and anger were coming out of me in one crushing wave. “I won’t go!” I hit the table with my fist and milk sloshed over the sides of my bowl. I felt angry tears pricking the corners of my eyes and I swallowed hard, struggling not to cry.

Grady stared at me, surprised. He looked as if he might laugh. It made me even more enraged.

“I won’t go!” I repeated. I knew I was acting like a spoiled baby, but I didn’t feel I had another choice. Years of following Grady and Mom around loomed before me. Always in the background, I thought.

“You won’t go?” Grady scoffed. Sometimes, I hate my brother. I narrowed my eyes at him.

“Why would I want to go, Grady? This is your life. Your dream.” He shifted uncomfortably in his seat. “Not mine.” I looked at Mom, but I couldn’t find a trace of sympathy.

“Lindy,” Mom said, her voice curt. “You are not to act in this manner. It’s not becoming. And you are going with us, young lady. Like it or not.”

“But why?” I wailed. Grady was getting more and more uncomfortable by the minute.

“Mom,” he said, interrupting her before she could speak, “if she doesn’t want to go that bad, why don’t you let her stay? Maybe we could come up with some way, some solution?” For a moment, I thought he was doing it out of the kindness of his heart. He’s helping me, I thought and I suddenly felt as if I were lucky to have a big brother like Grady. But then he looked at me and I could tell he was about to play his ace card by the glint in his eye. “She’ll be more trouble than she’s worth anyway. I don’t want her whining all summer while I’m trying to rehearse.”

I glared at him. I don’t know why, but I expected my mother to defend me. Yet again, I was disappointed.

Mom rubbed her temples. She hesitated and it appeared that she was debating it for a moment, but then she pressed her lips into a thin line and narrowed her eyes, the left one slightly more narrowed than the right. I knew that look. It was the I’ve made up my mind and there’s no changing it now look. I heard Grady sigh. He recognized it, too.

“No. Lindy is going with us. Now that your signed, it will give me a chance to spend more time with her.” My eyes widened in horror. I had a feeling I knew where this was going. She reached over, patting my hand. “For the past few years, I’ve had to concentrate on your brother. He’ll still take the majority of my time, but I think we’re going to have a lot more opportunities to begin working with you again. It’s time that we get your career back on track.”

From across the table, Grady choked back his laughter. “My career?” I echoed, my voice sounding hollow. “But I don’t have a career.”

“Exactly.” Mom smiled. “That’s why your acting like this. Not enough attention from me.”

I shook my head, slowly at first and then faster. “No. No, no, no, no….” It was all I could say. Grady doubled over, his shoulders shaking as he tried not to let Mom see him laughing.

“Yes.” She beamed at me. “Now, I’m not saying you’ll have the success that Grady has had. He has unusual talent.” She shifted her look of affection to my brother before focusing back on me. “But, with hard work and perseverance, I’m sure you’ll be able to get some small parts and maybe even some bigger roles. It might take years, but you’ll have a career.” She stood up. “Mark my words.”

I remained frozen in my chair as she left, unable to form a complete thought or sentence. This was worse than I thought. I must be having a nightmare.

Grady stood up, stretching. He smiled his blinding white smile, courtesy of the best dentist in town. “Looks like your back in the spotlight, Sis. Don’t worry. I’ll make room.”

I watched him as he left, still laughing.

****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!****