Bubbles

The pool called to me through the windows of my balcony and I hurried to shower and slip on a bathing suit. The heat of the sun-scorched concrete stung my toes and I hopped back inside, slipping on sandals. Grady staggered into the kitchen as I closed the sliding glass door behind me. He was already in his bathing shorts and his hair stuck up all over his head as he rubbed blearily at his eyes.

Goosebumps covered my body as I ran, feeling the hot air stream over my skin as I kicked off my shoes and jumped in the pool. Despite the heat, it was deliciously cold and I swam laps for a few minutes, relishing the feeling of the icy water on a hot summer's day.

I was amazed at how much faster I could swim. The daily workouts and training were really getting me in shape.

"How's the water?" Ryder asked and I grinned at him as I treaded in place, shading my eyes with one dripping hand so I could see him.

"Wonderful."

"Good." He cannonballed in beside me and immediately swam to the side, tagging the wall and then flipping underwater to shoot towards the other side.

We swam together as the sun rose high overhead, burning bright in the sky. Ryder stayed on his side of the pool, ignoring me while he swam lap after lap as if he were racing an invisible opponent.

I swam to the edge and kicked my legs lazily in the water as I leaned against the edge, watching him.

Finally, he ran out of steam and climbed aboard a float, shutting his eyes.

"So what's wrong?" I asked.

He remained silent and I narrowed my eyes. Something was definitely off.

"Ryder?"

"Yeah," he answered after a minute.

"What's wrong?"

"I don't want to talk about it."

I paused, unsure of what to say. "Even with me?" I finally squeaked out and then I felt a hot blush of shame spread over my face.

"Especially with you," Ryder said.

I paddled over to him and grabbed the float, propping my forearms on the edge.

"Come on, Ryder."

He remained silent, his eyes shut, and I had just about given up when he spoke.

"One of my brother's is in trouble again."

I didn't know what to say, so I didn't say anything and eventually he continued.

"Ransom."

Ryder's brothers were both much more famous than him and that was saying something. I remembered vaguely that Ransom Ryder was notorious for being in trouble constantly, but he was so much older than me I had never paid much attention.

"What did he do?"

Ryder shook his head. "I'm embarrassed to say."

I waited again and he took a deep breath.

"He was arrested last night."

I gasped. I had never known anyone who had been arrested before. "What did he do?"

Ryder shrugged. "Whatever it was, I'm sure he was guilty. He's always trusting the wrong people." He hesitated. "He's not that bad, you know. He was dating this girl, but she was just using him. She wanted to be famous, too, and dating Ransom Rhodes was the quickest way to getting that. It really messed him up when she dumped him for the co-star in the movie he helped get her a part in."

"So you don't know what he did?"Ryder shook his head. "I don't want to know what he did."

I studied his profile. "Ryder," I said. "It's your brother. It's not you, you know."

When he spoke, his voice was so low, I wondered if I had heard him or only imagined it. "Not yet."

I didn't know what to say to that.

Taking a deep breath, I sank below the water, watching the sun recede above me as bubbles rose to the surface around me.