Grady

Flashing blue light lit up the hallway as I walked towards my room. I had skirted Mom, who was back at work finishing supper, and hurried towards my shower. I felt dingy against the white walls.

Playing video games, I guessed, as the light flickered once more and the sounds of battle reached my ears. I stopped, lingering in Grady’s doorway, but he didn’t even look at me.

“How was your day?” I asked. I wanted to grill him, but I knew he would bite my head off if I did. When my brother played video games, everyone steered clear of him. As he often told us, he was trying to concentrate.

Grady grunted in reply, his thumbs tapping the controls. He was lying across his bed, propped up on his elbows. The overhead lights were off and the room was dark. Only the television screen on the wall in front of him lit up the room. I sighed loudly, exasperated.

“What?” he challenged me, his voice rough and rude. He tore his gaze away from the screen long enough to glance at me and his eyebrows shot up towards his hairline in surprise. He hit pause without a second thought and sat up, illuminated from head to toe by the blue light before he hit the remote next to him, flooding the room with a warm yellow glow.

He stared at me, scanning me with his mouth hanging open in shock. “What happened to you?”

“I was gardening,” I said defensively. “Lots of people do it, you know.”

“I’ve never seen anyone look like that, though,” Grady said, he collapsed against his pillows and shut his eyes as if bored with me. “Old ladies garden all the time and they don’t end up looking like they were mud wrestling.”

I shoved my hand against my hip, slightly angry. Usually, I would have stomped off at this point, but my curiosity was preventing my haughty escape. I took a moment to try to calm down before I spoke again.

“I asked you how your day was,” I said.

“Long,” Grady replied. He kept his eyes closed, wincing as he rolled over and sat up. He rolled his shoulders, stretching. “I’m sore all over. Our trainers are brutal.”

He didn’t look happy and I felt suddenly very sorry for him. “I’m sure you were the best out there,” I said, trying to cheer him up.

Grady smirked, snorting slightly. He looked at me with one eyebrow raised. “Seriously? You expect me to believe that? You and I both know it’s not true.” He shook his head. “Don’t ever go into acting, Lindy. You’re a terrible liar.”

“You must have been better than some of them, at least,” I said.

He didn’t say anything and I, after several seconds of silence, I spilled my guts. “I saw Ryder outside and he said you were good. He said you were better than him and Bridge.”

Grady remained in the same position, staring at the floor, but I could tell his face brightened a bit. He shook his hair back. “That’s good to hear.” His voice took on a teasing tone. “So where did you run into Ryder? Dating already?”

“No,” I protested, blushing. “Of course not. Mom made me wash off outside and he was by the pool. He seemed just as upset as you are.” I don’t know why I said the last part. I knew it was a mistake as soon as it left my lips.

Grady straightened, angry. “I’m not upset.” He shook his head as he stared at me in disgust. “Why don’t you go shower? You’re getting everything dirty.”

I rolled my eyes. “Don’t be such a jerk,” I said. “I was just trying to help.” I marched off without waiting for his reply and, for good measure against both him and Mom, I slammed my bedroom door.

“Lindy! Don’t slam the door!” Mom called from downstairs, but I ignored her, slamming my bathroom door, too. Right before I did, I heard Grady laughing in his bedroom.

That’s the last time I try to help him, I thought as I wrenched the faucets into open position. I sank into the tub gratefully, letting the whole world waiting outside my bathroom door fade into the distance.

****Please remember to vote if you enjoyed this section of The Rockstar Chronicles. It means a lot to me to get your feedback!****