Flowers in the storm

The whole ride home, Mom was seething. It was decided that not only was Tom staying, but he was staying with Grant. I had watched Grant walk back in with Mom about an hour after they had left with Mr. Kane. He had smiled at Tom, a cold, calculated smile.

Clapping his hand on Tom's shoulder, he had gripped it tightly. "Well, Tom, Mr. Kane was kind enough to show us some videos from your audition and you have some talent. A very talented young man." He shook Tom slightly. "I heard you don't have an agent or a manager. Is that true?"

"Yes, sir," Tom said. "I don't."

Grant smiled.

"Don't worry, Tom," he said smoothly. "You'll be staying with us. We'll take care of you."

"But my great-aunt...."

"Will get along fine without you. It's time you focus on what you need to do."

"Lindy, why are you staring outside with that terrible frown on your face?" Mom's voice interrupted my thoughts.

I shook my head, trying to clear the vision of Grant's evil grin from my mind. "Just thinking."

"Well, stop. I don't want any negativity in this car." Mom shifted, angrily tugging at her coat.

I stared outside once more, actually seeing the passing view outside the car window. It was still rainy, but not as windy as earlier. My mind wandered as I watched the broken limbs and windblown yards pass by. My thoughts traveled to Mrs. Crabtree and her garden. Her garden!

Gasping, I turned to the driver. "How much further?"

The driver raised his eyebrows. I could see his eyes in the rearview mirror as he glanced at me. "Almost there."

"Lindy!" Mom began to berate me, but I tuned her out. I felt as if I were sitting on pins and needles as we drove cautiously along.

"Please, please get there," I whispered. Grady looked at me strangely, but then went back to staring out his own window.

I knew, I just knew, deep down inside that Mrs. Crabtree's garden was destroyed. Panicked feelings of loss filled me and my hands began to shake.

As soon as the car stopped, I leapt from it, running down the road. My breath caught in my chest as I ran, slipping on the wet street. I fell once, but caught myself with my hands, scraping them in the process.

"Lindy?" Mrs. Crabtree exclaimed in shock as I flung open her gate and ran in. She cocked her head at me, just like a bird. Her yellow rain jacket flapped in the breeze and a huge floppy hat rested on her head. "Are you alright?"

"I...," and to my shock and amazement, I broke down in tears. Covering my face, I sank to the ground, squatting with my knees against my chest. I felt Mrs. Crabtree's hand on my back.

"Shhh, Shhh," she soothed me. "Let's go sit on the porch."

I followed her blindly, unable to see through the blinding tears filling my eyes. The huge yellow blur I knew was her led the way like a beacon of light before me.

"Just sit here," she guided me to the rocking chair, "while I go get you something to drink."

The cushion was damp and cold. It seeped through my clothes immediately, but I didn't care. I just felt so tired.

"Now," I felt a cool glass being pressed into my hand, "you tell me all about it."

I took a deep swallow from the glass. It was sweet tea. I caught my breath in great gulps of air, accepting the offered tissue.

I rubbed my tears away roughly. "Anyway," I said, my voice shaky. "Your garden is okay."

Mrs. Crabtree looked out over it. A queen. She nodded gravely. "Yes, it is. Now, tell me what really brought you here."

And I did. I spilled everything. I told her about Grady and Tom and how Tom was going to make Mom so mad. I told her about Hardyn and Ryder and Bridge. I talked and talked, growing calmer as she listened.

When I was done, she sat looking at me. "Lindy," she said finally, her voice slow and sure. "Sometimes we are dealt a hand in life that we can't control. A time we can only make the best of until the tide changes and we can make our own choices."

"So you're saying I should just deal with it?" I asked, rubbing at my wet cheeks with the back of my hand.

"No," Mrs. Crabtree said. "I'm saying that all through your life you are going to have happy and unhappy times. I am quite sure that this will not be your unhappiest. You have to learn how to make yourself happy, and if not happy, at least hopeful, until it's your time."

"I don't understand."

Mrs. Crabtree sighed. "It's hard to explain. It sounds as if I'm saying that you should just accept it and wait, but that's not what I'm telling you. I'm telling you that you will find your path someday. Everyone is gifted with something. All of us are. Spend this time focusing on what you can do to improve your situation and work hard at finding it." I was still puzzled and she saw it.

"Never mind, dear." She got up, patting my hand. "You'll understand with time. How about, for now, you just come here when your down? We'll garden together and talk. There's nothing like caring for something else to cure what ails you."

I nodded in agreement, sniffing loudly. As usual, I felt sleepy after crying.

"Help me replant some flowers?"

I nodded again and followed her, accepting the gloves Mrs. Crabtree offered me. I pulled them on, the fabric crusted with old dirt and grime.

Mud stained my knees as I crouched to the ground and, despite the growing ache between my shoulder blades, I remained there till twilight fell, carefully returning each unearthed flower to its home.

And it did make me feel good. A deep peace filled me. The flowers felt like children, lost and confused. Led astray by the flooding waters they had expected to nourish them and help them grow.

I replaced the last one with a gentle pat, glad it was safely home once more and I lifted my eyes to the sky where a threatening storm cloud was growing.

It was a huge dark shadow on the horizon, threatening to overwhelm us and cast us all astray. But I looked at the small blue flowers waving in the rapidly cooling breeze and I smiled.

I wasn't scared.

****************************************************

Coming soon: Part Two in the Rockstar Chronicles!