Chapter 2 - Spray

After hanging the lamp I bought, I realized it wasn't a substantial improvement of the hallway that right now looks like the scene of a murder mystery. It's dark; the forest green carpet is stained with who-knows-what, the yellow wallpaper is falling apart, and there's a faint scent of mold in the air. Besides not wanting to come across cockroaches again, I've procrastinated any work in here because it looks simply disgusting. 

This will be the first place my future guests will set foot on when they enter the house and it needs to look inviting and safe, not like murder waiting at the first corner. So I went back to the hardware store and bought bone-white wallpaper and packs of flooring in a gray-brown color that I think will look good together. The trim needs painting and the ceiling could do with a good dusting, but the wood looks like it's still in good shape. I will eventually need a table or a small desk in this area to use as a check-in counter. I should look at the list of the stuff Rowan left me in case there's something in it I can use.

Rowan always said that the customer experience is crucial at the check-in moment. It doesn't matter how nice your hotel or website is, or how well the reservation system works, it needs to be speedy, but warm and with great attention to detail. How I wish my brother was here to tell me exactly what I need to do to make this work.

After removing all the ceiling cobwebs, with the longest duster brush I could find to avoid going anywhere near them, I arm myself with a steamer, a knife and a few spatulas. I begin to peel a section of the wallpaper, only to find many layers of old paper. I fear what I will find when I get to the bottom layer because a finding a moldy wall will mean there's a leak somewhere. I will have to kiss my budget or even my project goodbye if that ends up being the case.

To my relief, I find a dry wall with a few plaster cracks in the first section. I continue stripping the old wallpaper until all I have are bare walls that show no signs of water damage or big holes. 

After I've bagged all the dusty pieces of discarded wallpaper, I decide it's time to remove the ugly carpet. The best way I think I can tackle this is by scoring it with the utility knife and rolling the pieces to put in the bags. When I pull a corner that's slightly lifted, a few bugs scatter around. The scream that leaves my mouth isn't human, and I run to the kitchen. I will deny to anyone until the end of time that I'm scared of insects.

My ragged breath makes me slightly dizzy as I walk in circles thinking what to do. Besides the welcoming committee months ago, and a few spiders in the basement that had me on the brink of a heart attack, I haven't come across other bugs. My skin itches at the idea of what else lives under the floor. I see my phone atop a box and call the only person who won't make fun of me. I activate the speakerphone as it rings and serve myself with a trembling hand a glass of juice from my miniature fridge.

"Hello?" 

"Hi Mom, it's Declan."

"Ducky, my darling!"

I cringe at the nickname she stills calls me by, even though I'm 33 years old. "Hey, how are you and Dad doing?" I ask while monitoring the hallway to see if any bugs have followed me. 

"We are well. I was planning on calling you tonight. Even though it breaks our hearts, we couldn't put sorting Rowan's things any longer. We donated most of what we couldn't use. We also went through his file cabinets and found something we thought you can make use of."

"I'm sure it's hard going through his things, knowing why you have to do it, and wondering what's important or not. And I don't envy you because Rowan was almost a paper hoarder, even though he was so organized with everything else. I think I'll come to Greenwood soon and you can show me what you found."