Chapter 9 - Egg Shell

Jacob and Elijah returned after thirty minutes with a load of new wooden planks. By then, I had done good progress with a bedroom wall, and with Jacob's return, we were done in no time with the rest.

The rest of the days at work were fairly uneventful. I did have to deliver a package on the street where The Royal Oak is located and roamed around for a few minutes to check the progress. The banging and drilling sounds mixed with the rowdy voices of construction workers were confirmation enough that they finally got their power connection. Under normal circumstances, I would have felt a small pang of jealousy, but seeing all the progress we've made, I felt confident my place will be almost as good as Catalina's.

Yesterday, I took a break from cleaning one of the bathrooms upstairs and headed to the Maple Grove Market. Josie is an enthusiastic and patient teacher, but I needed to figure if I can prepare the breakfast on my own. Plus, after preparing something so delicious, my simple bowl of morning cereal started losing its appeal.

After picking a basket, I walked towards the fragrant bread area and stood in front of the display, deliberating on getting the same we bought last week or if I should try something new.

"Declan, right?"

I lifted my gaze to find the woman who bagged the bread for Josie the last time we were here.

"That's right. And you are... Mollie?"

"Millie, but you were quite close!" Her face brightened up and I got really worried when she leaned over the counter and the buttons of her black uniform shirt threatened to fly out and show her generous chest. "I'm glad to see you around here. Josie talks a lot about you. Said you moved to Oakheart from Greenwood... On your own..."

I knew where this was heading and it wasn't where I wanted to. "Yeah... I moved here last year and have been trying to get my business off the ground. Busy times, I don't even get much time for myself."

Millie didn't seem to get the hint as leaned forward even further showing the lacy edge of her bra. "And what can I get for you? I have so much to offer you..."

"Eh... Bread?"

"The same sample as last week or something new? I'm great at trying new things..."

"I... I don't know..."

"I know what to get you." She licked her lips. "You look like the kind of guy who enjoys new things. So... This bed-and-breakfast you are renovating. Have you tried all the beds yet? I'm available if you need some help..."

I took a few steps back to put additional space between me and the counter, and for a second, I considered leaving. Instead, I pretended not to have heard her while I inspected a display of roasted nuts. I then noticed Axel, who seemed glued to his place as he stared at Millie. I moved into his vision field and waved at him.

"Hey, Axel. Good to see you."

"Oh, hi! Welcome again. Is she around?" He searched left and right for Josie.

"No, I'm by myself. Josie isn't here."

Axel sighed with relief and motioned with his head towards Millie who waited for me with the bagged bread.

"Good job, Millie," Axel said, but got no acknowledgement. His face showed disappointment.

"I'll see you around, Axel and thanks for helping last week."

Axel smiled politely and, giving a last sad look at Millie, returned to what he was doing. Channeling my best Josie, I got an idea...

"Thank you, Millie. Hey, I have not tested the beds yet, but I guess Axel wouldn't mind coming with you to try them out. It will be on the house for all your help."