Chapter 4 - Competition

My phone buzzes in the back pocket of my jeans as I look for a piece of paper to write down what I'll need from the hardware store tomorrow morning.

"Declan Reed," I answer, since I don't recognize the number after activating the speakerphone.

"Hi, Declan! It's Lisa."

"Hey, Lisa! Good to hear from you. How are you?"

"I'm fine, thanks! I'm in the neighborhood and was wondering if you have time to chat about your business."

Last week, when we were enjoying desert at Nina's, Lisa told me she's interested in helping me getting my business off the ground. I told her I read some articles and saved inspiring pictures. She gave me a kind smile and said we'll work on it together. I bet she's thinking I'm such an amateur.

"Sure, when would you like to meet?" As I wait for Lisa to answer, I hear a knock on the front door. "Give me a second. Someone's at the door."

"I'm the someone," Lisa says as I look through the peephole.

"You were not joking when you said you were in the neighborhood," I say after I open the door for her. "Welcome! Come in!"

"Thanks. I was on my way home from work and decided to see if you were in. I saw your car and a few lights on inside, so I called."

"Glad you did. Is Evan joining us?"

"No, he isn't. He's coordinating a car trade show this weekend. He's at the venue right now." She turns around in the hallway. "It's pretty in here."

"I'm glad you like it. And is Evan okay that you came to see me?"

Lisa gives me a confused look. "Of course he is. We talked about it at Nina's and he was present. I don't need his permission."

I feel the heat creeping up my neck. Lately, that's happening often. "I'm sorry. Didn't mean it like that. I'm a magnet for trouble, misunderstandings, and jealous boyfriends. I've been punched before and I'm afraid getting punched by Evan will hurt a lot more."

Lisa laughs and shakes her head. "You'll have to tell me all about that one day. No worries about Evan. I just spoke to him from the car and he encouraged me to check if you were available. He knows I'm excited about helping you out, especially after the dull week I had at work. Well, lately every week seems dull. Helping Nina at her store is my entertainment when Evan is busy." 

"I'm not sure my bed-and-breakfast could be considered an exciting project." I motion for her to follow me.

"Coming up with ideas for new businesses or products is what fills me with energy, but now I'm managing a team and the creative work is done by someone else."

"I understand,"  I say and stop at the living room. "I'm starting from zero and there's enough work to do, but little time. I'm still working on getting the living room in order and then I'll tackle the kitchen and dining area. I've not touched the bedrooms upstairs besides vacuuming the floors and cleaning the windows." I then see her taking a laptop out of her shoulder bag. "We could sit at the kitchen table, is that okay?" I ask and she nods.

While moving stuff away from a folding chair to the floor, I see the envelope my mom sent with something that belonged to Rowan. Opening it will have to wait.

"I know you used to work at a hotel," she says as she opens an empty document. "Do you think that qualifies you to run a bed-and-breakfast?"

"Ow... the sarcasm hurts." I hold my chest in fake pain.

"I'm not trying to be harsh." She chuckles. "I believe there's a good story everywhere if you dig deep enough. We need it to convince people why they should stay here and not elsewhere."