Chapter 7 - Breakfast

The inside of the farmers' market is a busy and noisy grid of different vendors with unique displays. Some places sell ready-cooked meals, while others specialize in themed ingredients, such as a shop that only sells oil and vinegar. Mrs. Cox enters the Maple Grove Market, and its size is impressive. I've never seen so many fruits and vegetables stacked so neatly. A delicious buttery scent hangs in the air and colorful displays with jars and tins call my attention.

"This place looks amazing, Mrs. Cox." I inspect a fragrant lemon in a yellow hue that is almost perfection. Before I can put it away, she holds my hand.

"Call me Josie," she says and grabs more lemons.

Josie and I walk through the aisles where she seems to be looking for someone since we haven't grabbed anything else. People greet her by her name and look genuinely happy to see her. I can see where Nina and Lisa get their charm and people skills. A pasty looking man holding a clipboard startles the moment he sees Josie and gives her a nervous smile.

"Mrs. Cox! What are you doing here? You are not planned for a shift today."

"I'm solving a crisis as usual. Axel, this is Declan. He's opening a new bed-and-breakfast where he intends to serve wholesale food!"

"Over my dead body," he replies and they stride somewhere.

"Anyone cares to loop me on this?" I ask as I follow them at a trot.

We come to a halt at the back of the market, where employees take fresh bread out of ovens or pack the ones on display for the line of waiting customers. 

"Millie, sweetheart, can you pack me a mix of our best breads? Enough for... five to six people. Millie is single," she whispers at me while giving me a wink.

"Oh... Good for her..." That is all I can say because a moment later, Josie pushes a large paper bag into my chest, making me almost drop the lemons in my hands.

"Axel! Best of breakfast next!"

Axel startles once more, but his gaze lingers a bit longer on Millie. "Yes, Mrs. Cox."

He grabs a wicker basket and hurries to an aisle. Josie grabs another and places two cartons of eggs in it. Some of the eggs still have a few feathers sticking to them, and I don't know if that's a good or a bad thing.

"You can put the lemons and bread in here," Axel points at his basket that already has some jars and little packets of wax paper at the bottom.

"Thanks, man. Do you work for Josie, I mean Mrs. Cox?"

"I'm actually her boss, but everyone around here knows she's the one that runs this place. Has she tried to match you with one of her daughters? She tried with me. Honestly, I'm a bit afraid of her."

Before we can continue the conversation, Josie comes back with more packets of waxed paper that she places in her basket. She continues grabbing things from the aisles and displays until we reach the area of the registers. The guy at the register doesn't even bat an eye when she tells him to take a break and rings the groceries herself. I feel like caught in a hurricane, and wonder what she wants me to do with all this. To my surprise, the total of the groceries isn't too expensive.

"I'll give you a tour of the rest of the market at another time. It's worth knowing all these people and finding out what they can do for your business."

"Looking forward to it," I say, but the words come out with an unsure ring to them.

On the way back to my house, Josie gives me an audio tour of all the places she frequents in the neighborhood. She points at a small shop with tons of pink and purple on the window display, and tells me the owner makes her own toiletry items and that the lavender handmade soap is heavenly. I'm not sure if my guests will appreciate that, but I certainly would like to see what else the owner sells. Josie also tells me about everyone she knows around here and about her work, even some stuff I didn't need to know.