Chapter 10 - Button

While browsing through the items I picked that were stashed in my living room, the idea of how I want to decorate the rooms became clearer. I found I had enough tan and brown accents to decorate the first room I want to label Pancake. My avocado green bathrooms will now fit in this scheme perfectly.

Since I didn't have rooms ready to receive guests, Mom and Dad stayed at Jacob and Josie. It seems Josie was more than happy to be their host since she said we were about to become family through Taylor and Nina. My parents came here every day to help and thanks to them the exterior of the house has been power-washed, the door and window trims shine in their new bright blue color and Mom entertained herself planting flowers and pulling weeds out. The house facade looks brand new and the only thing is missing is the sign for my bed-and-breakfast.

We've never been a family of deep words, but they could see I'm serious about this, even when my start was slow and not well-thought. They both wished me the best and said they are proud of what I'm doing before returning home. Saying goodbye to them was tough, but they promised me they will come again and stay at Sunny-side Up when everything is up and running.

Last night, Rowan's pile of advice scraps gave me the next piece of wisdom and it came at the right moment, since Nina and Taylor will be here at any moment to help me with it. The trade magazine advertisement read:

Take advantage of technology by offering an efficient booking system through a user-friendly website. Don't forget to use social media to create excitement about the business and share news and upcoming events.

Since our conversation during dinner, Taylor has been doing research and comparing prices for the different types of software I'll need. He's emailed me his favorites and I'm glad he took this over as I truly don't understand half of the specifications I'd been reading. I also used my cousin's lived experience to assess what we will need to make the bathroom downstairs an accommodation fit for wheelchair users. This week, I've spent my evening hours placing a new shower seat, toilet bars and the necessary wall handles. I hope he gives me his approval.

The new doorbell I installed yesterday rings and I feel proud of myself when a notification pops in my phone, meaning I installed it correctly.

"Good to see you guys!" I say to Nina and Taylor after opening the door.

"Good to see you too, and thanks for installing the ramp already." Taylor shakes hands with me. "Nina and I were discussing in the van how to get me up the few steps."

"My chicken arms would not have coped." Nina chuckles as she flexes non-existing biceps.

"Thanks to Elijah, really. He's helped me make the exterior accessible with ramps and hard wide paths, not only for the wedding but to accommodate the needs of all guests."

"It's really appreciated. These wheels don't do well on damp grass and I've flipped too many times on narrow lanes. I can get myself back on the chair, but it's always embarrassing."

"I'll do anything I can to help you avoid a situation like that. I also fitted the bathroom." I point at it and Taylor wheels into it, even making a full turn in the space.

"You did a good job in here. Hey, a shower chair at good height!" He approaches it, locks his wheelchair, and in a swift movement hops on it. "Yeah, this is good. Thanks, Declan. This will make the life of guests like me a lot more enjoyable." He hops back and then looks from me to Nina. "Alright, where do we start?"

"I got all the software you recommended and the better router."

"Let's get the router connection in order first," Nina says and Taylor nods.

Nina's come armed with a computer bag and a trolley filled with cables and a tool box. I could point out that the last part is unnecessary since this house is full of them. Maybe it's like chefs with their knives and she likes her own better.