Chapter 3 - Dinner

Today's last stop in my work route brings me along one of my favorite places and people. I have a delivery for Nina Cox, the owner of Galaxy Barn, a vintage toy store. Nina is also my cousin Taylor's girlfriend. I feel sort of responsible for them confessing their love to each other after Nina and I went on a failed date. But that's a story for another time.

"Aha, a Transformers Metroplex in mint condition... No, I'm not joking... When have I ever sold you inferior quality?... Yeah, that's right, never. It could be yours for a thousand three hundred. In fact, because it's you, I can lower my price to one thousand one hundred..."

Nina smiles when she spots me at the entrance of her store and winks at me.

"That's what I'm talking about. After I confirm receipt of your payment, I'll have it ready to ship tomorrow morning... Always a pleasure doing business with you!" 

Nina hangs up her call and comes around the counter to give me a hug. She's tiny and the top of her head aligns with my chin. "It's so good to see you, Declan!"

"Good to see you too. Did you just sell a toy for over a thousand?" I ask surprised.

"In the business of vintage toys, mint condition sells for premium price. Whenever I spot something, I already have a buyer in mind. In my database, I keep track of what I've sold them, so I know what they are missing."

"Impressive. What a good strategy. Well, here's your package." I place a large box with a fragile sticker carefully on the floor and hand her the electronic pad for her to sign.

"Thank you. I've also been waiting on this one for a specific collector. It's a remote-controlled R2-D2 in working condition."

"Seriously? That's amazing!" 

"Nostalgia is wonderful. And how are things at your place with the renovations?"

"Slow progress. Last weekend, I finished the entrance hallway and I plan on stripping the wallpaper in the living room as the next step tomorrow. I feel it's taking me forever since I can only have time for it on weekends."

"Even the smallest of activities is progress. Do you have many to dos left?"

"That's the thing. I don't know. When a house has been neglected for long, you never know what you will find. So far, the fixes has been cosmetic, but I always fear finding something that will eat my budget and delay things even more."

"Hopefully not. Hey, if you want a break from it all, Lisa and her boyfriend Evan are coming over tomorrow night for dinner. I'm sure Taylor would like it if you join us too. We need creative minds to help us with our upcoming plans." She gives me a cheeky grin and waves her hand where a little diamond ring sparkles.

"You got engaged? Congratulations! When did he propose?"

"Who says he did? I proposed!" She laughs. "Lisa, Evan and I took him to a lesson of adapted surfing for his birthday. Afterwards I proposed to him at lunch with our parents presents. Imagine if he had said no." She grimaces. "It happened only last weekend, so we are beginning to share the news with the rest of the family and friends."

"Wonderful news and I would love to come to your brainstorm dinner."

After saying goodbye to Nina, I get back to my truck and drive towards my work to clock out. A light sense of dread dawns on me as I realize that probably the topic of the bed-and-breakfast will come up during dinner. I wish I could proudly say that all is going on track and I'm opening in no time, but that isn't the case.

The moment I get home, I decide to use the main entrance now that it looks nice and it's clean. When I open the door, I find a thick envelope on the mat from Mom. I feel somehow disappointed that it's not something bigger and I carry it with me to the living room. I'll have a look later or eventually.