Chapter 11 - Royal Oak

Entering my house and putting my bag on the floor, I crack my back to give it some relief. My stay last night at the Royal Oak was... Unforgettable...

I arrived right on time to check in and found the reception unmanned. That isn't odd in a small property where the owners have to fulfill several roles. Usually there's a bell or something to summon someone, but I found none. After a ten-minute wait, Catalina came out of what I assume is an office with her usual annoyed face, but the moment she saw me, she forced a smile.

"Welcome to the Royal Oak! Checking in? Can I have your ID card?" She said, even though she booked me the week before. "Oh yes, reservation for one... Room 103... If you can sign this for me, I'll get your key."

While signing the document, I found it odd she didn't ask for a credit card for a deposit. While handing me my room key, she checked her phone.

"Where can I find the elevator?"

"The stairs are that way." She pointed vaguely to the back and return to scroll her phone.

I walked towards the right end of the lobby and found a dining area. To the left, a half-opened door showed what I believe was a storage room. The only place left to check was a set of heavy-looking curtains and after pushing them aside, I found the stairs. Luckily I only had a small bag with me but anyone with rolling luggage would have struggled to move the fabric away and get their stuff up.

Once I opened the room, I found it to be... Standard. That's the best way to describe it. I had little expectations about how a boutique hotel room should look like, but it was pretty similar to the hotel I used to work at. The curtains were drawn and as I opened them to let some light in the room, I found out my view consisted of a brick wall. My place might not have spectacular views of the sea, but thanks to my Mom, guests will be able to see pretty garden spaces from all windows.

Suddenly I felt caged and needed to get out. I checked the documents on the night table to see if there was something to do at the hotel. All I found was a strict set of guidelines of what I must or must not do, including being downstairs for breakfast at seven in the morning or I would not be served.

I went downstairs and found a guy at the reception who looked vaguely familiar. He gave me a warm smile the moment he saw me.

"Hello. Is the room to your liking?" He asked.

"It's good sized," I said, for lack of compliments. "Do all rooms have a wall view?"

He grimaced and nodded. "It comes with being sandwiched between the other buildings. The only proper windows are at the front, but they have become sitting or meeting spaces. It's a good and comfortable place, but being in the middle of town doesn't give you a lot of flexibility."

"I guess you are right. And do you have activities for guests?"

The man gave me a blank stare that said it all. "Eh, well... There are some shops and restaurants at the end of the street. And we are not far away from the sea."

"Sounds fine. Is there a place where I can chill here in the hotel? With a beer and a bite?"

The man looked uncomfortable, and then I realized where I've met him before. He was with Catalina the day I came to bring the lamps and boxes fell on me.

"The owner is quite meticulous with cleanliness," he whispered. "She prefers not to have food outside the dining area. I'm not supposed to say, but there's a great restaurant with a brewery all the way down in this street if you want a proper drink and food."

"Why are you not supposed to say?" I matched my voice volume to his.

"There was an exchange of words between owners and it wasn't pretty, if you know what I mean."