Mar 25, 2022: A Cover Reveal (And Accompanying Drama)

Okay, it's not really a cover reveal because both the book and the new cover are already up on my profile, but. White Crystal Butterflies  has needed a cover update for a while, and I really should be writing, so obviously I spent eight hours today down a cover-making rabbit hole instead. The result? 

And because nothing like this ever happens without a whole saga behind it, I am here with the story of how this cover came to be!

Why the cover change?

Back in early September, I was just minding my own business when an offer dropped out of the sky and landed in my lap like a pathologically snuggly cat in an uninsulated apartment on the coldest day of winter. (Unrelated, but I sometimes have to shut my little old orange boy in the bathroom just so I can get anything done. If my lap is blocked, he'll sit on my chest, stomach, arms, hands, keyboard, laptop screen... anyway, you get the idea). Overnight, my writing hobby became a whole lot more professional. As one does, I immediately eyed up my covers and took a very deep breath.

I have... a lot of books. That means a lot of covers. And I'd made many of them long enough ago and/or when I was still inexperienced enough that I couldn't remember how many of their photos were for-sure from sites where I could legally use them for free.

This spurred a sweeping (okay, panicked, I was in school and had a week to do it all) upgrade of all but a few covers on my profile. I was satisfied with most of them, even happier with a few, and sincerely pained about a couple. My then-new cover for White Crystal Butterflies fell into the latter category. Unfortunately, I was also going into my first semester of grad school, so all further procrastigraphics were put on hold indefinitely.

The cover in question:

Not bad, but not the best it could be, either!

Flash forward to just under a week ago. I was chatting with a friend on Discord when the topic of covers came up. She asked if I was open to advice on mine, and being the graphic-design nerd and magpie that I am, I said absolutely. Anything to improve the shinies that make me so happy on my books and profile. One of the covers she singled out as needing improvement was WCB's, and with a bit of spare time on hand and that advice fresh in my memory, I set about redoing the cover.