Jan 1, 2023: Coming Up Next

Posting on January 2nd, but shhh. I find looking ahead in my writing life to be just as valuable as looking back, and posting about it publicly has proved to be a useful accountability and motivation tool whenever I'm tempted to procrastinate. And so, this is the second chapter in my end-of-year update on what's happening on my Wattpad profile and beyond: my writing goals for 2023.

This year, I plan to:

❖ Participate properly in the Open Novella Contest again. No promises about my novella count. Two is likely, and we'll see how much time I find to juggle more!

❖ As part of that, cross an item off my bucket list by writing a fully dual-genre Fantasy (or Horror) / Romance in under 40k words. Possible? Yes. Easy? Nope

❖ Finish, edit, and post Rocks Can Dance (finally)

❖ Finish City of Coral and begin drafting the actual final book in the series, Water Will Rise. Keep up the new plotting regime I have started here

❖ Maintain a weekly posting schedule on that series, as always, and an appreciable chapter buffer as... not quite always

❖ Write and speed-post another Halloween Horror novella, because I want to make this a tradition of mine, and this will be my third consecutive year

❖ If I remain in Creators, write and post The Legend of the June Beetle, another fast-paced queer Horror novel with similar energy to Red Rover

❖ Finish the first book of Desert Epic. Start (and hopefully finish!) the second one offline, yearly wordcount permitting

❖ Break my yearly wordcount record again. I know my capacity for this keeps growing, so I'd love to keep ratcheting this number up year over year just to see how far I can go. My aspirational goal for 2023? Write 700k in a year. We'll see how far I get 😎

As with 2021, I spent a lot of 2022 on very long projects. I never intended to juggle two epic series at once (I usually try not to), but my Kels series sprang that situation on me anyway after I'd started Desert Epic, so I rolled with the punches and will continue to do so. Epic series could soak up as much as two-thirds of my 2023 wordcount if I meet all my goals. This is... a lot. I'm hoping to balance it out with a couple of standalone novels and a couple of novellas so I'm posting (and writing) more than just long, ongoing things, especially when Desert Epic is likely to remain an offline project for at least two more years.

I've found a few more patterns this year, too, that I'd like to continue in 2023. One of these is this book! I've had a lot of fun writing blog posts, posting random updates on my writing life, and of course keeping myself accountable with my roundups each month. Another thing I'd like to continue is my newly discovered love of sprintable novels. These are shorter, less complex, and thus less demanding projects that are allowed to jump my writing queue, and can be taken to completion in under three months. They let me chase plot bunnies, give me a welcome break from longer projects, and give me (obviously) new standalone books to post. Wins all around.

If my profile does well enough in 2023, I'm also toying with the idea of starting a Patreon. I haven't worked out the details yet, and a lot will depend on how well my new books grow, but it's a possibility!

Other than that, I'm quite enjoying my time as a professional author. This is out of my hands, but I hope that continues.

Here's to another productive year!