Apr 22, 2024: So, I'm Slowly Breaking Up With Wattpad

Man, I really hoped I'd be staying on this site for at least a few years longer. I really did.

I guess the universe has a sense of humor.

Friends, I've begun a slow retreat from Wattpad. Those familiar with my profile might have noticed it already: since last year, I've been pulling down novellas and shuffling them quietly to Patreon, and there are more links in my profile bio than there used to be. I've recently launched a newsletter, and I'm working on an author website behind the scenes. All of this is intentional. I've been planning it for years already, but Wattpad's recent actions are now speeding up the process.

What's been going on, you ask?

Well, it started with Wattpad and AI. In November 2022, an article came out, highlighting an AI research collaboration between Wattpad and a major university. AI and the arts don't mix well. So-called "generative" AI builds from a database of human-made content, which is typically gathered without the original artists' consent, control, or compensation. You can probably see why many authors are wary of Wattpad's interest in this.

Then came the contract updates. I've been part of various Wattpad programs since 2021, and I have not regretted my time in them. I've also watched their evolution, and while I can't go into detail on this, many changes I've seen are... concerning. So I won't be joining any more programs.

Then came the layoffs. Wattpad has been gutting its staff for the last year, and it shows.

Then came changes—bad changes—to the ambassadors program.

Then the roll-out of a new content-moderation bot that has, among other things, permanently deleted books that don't violate content guidelines, and shadowbanned others for no apparent reason. They're not targeting queer, mature, or fanfic content. Their bot's just bad.

Simultaneously, they adjusted the algorithm again, this time in a way that has seen Red Rover—my most popular book—lose 66% of its daily readership in the last month, and slashed its overall growth rate by half. I've got graphs.

Then today, writing communities noticed a new pop-up in their Wattpad inboxes, notifying them that DMs were being removed as a feature in 1-2 weeks, and that all previous conversations would be deleted at that time.

I'm tired.

I don't say these things lightly, but I've been a community organizer on Wattpad for the last six years, and I can no longer see a future for myself on this site. I've hung on because I love it. I love my audience. I love sharing my books with all of you. But there's only so much I can take. So now, I'm very slowly building a life raft and packing my bags.

What will this look like?

First off, I promise I'll finish posting the books and series I have ongoing at the moment, unless something truly heinous happens and I need to finish my Kels Series elsewhere. However, these ongoing books will be the last things I bring to Wattpad. Expect future content to be posted on Patreon.

Second, expect to see my book count dropping. I haven't pulled any novels yet because they're all under contract, but that expires at the end of June this year. Red Rover and its compatriots are the backbone of my profile, so I'll leave them up as long as I can. However, more novellas and my old Shelha Series will all move to Patreon this summer, and my novels will follow eventually.

Third, expect to see a new note appearing at the bottom of all new chapters I post, linking back to this update here. Why? Because I'm writing this to keep you informed, but also to offer for you to come with me wherever I go next.

I don't know yet where that will be. In the short term, most content I remove from Wattpad will land on Patreon. That will continue for a while. I'm watching a few other serialization sites, but those that look promising are also very new, and I like to wait for startups to prove themselves before I commit. In the longer term, I'll be self-publishing. Maybe as soon as this year if I fall really hard down that rabbit hole, but more likely in a few years' time.

Either way, I'm still writing 3-7 books a year. That won't change, lol. I just need somewhere to put them.

If you want to stay up to date on where I'm at and where I'm going, you have a few options:

1. Sign up for my newsletter! My updates on big things like new platforms or my publishing journey will all land here. This is also how I'll reach you once I inevitably leave Wattpad. I send newsletter emails 2-4 times a year. Signup link in the comments 👉🏻

2. Subscribe to my Patreon. You can follow my Patreon page for free, or join a paid tier to support me. I appreciate it either way! Followers / subscribers here will get similar updates to my newsletter, but less frequently and in less detail. Link in the comments 👉🏻

3. Join me on Discord. I have an author corner in the Literary Lounge, a community where readers and writers can connect. Link in the comments, and make sure to find and follow my channel when you get there 👉🏻

I hope to see you there! Stay awesome, friends. I'll never stop writing, but life throws plot twists now and again. This is just the start of a new chapter. 

Deze afbeelding leeft onze inhoudsrichtlijnen niet na. Verwijder de afbeelding of upload een andere om verder te gaan met publiceren.