INSTANT REPLAY | it's over

BASKETBALL IS all about having a sixth sense on your teammates

BASKETBALL IS all about having a sixth sense on your teammates. You gotta know who to pass the ball to, when to fall back, and where to take the shot. Maybe that's why I trust Devyn enough to stay back and let her do her thing, even if every cell within me is screaming to follow after her.

The plan was supposed to be simple. We blend. We stick together. We disappear. But then Peewee's dad had to put a fuckin' bounty on my head, stirring up the whole white world to hunt me down.

I don't think I've ever felt a terror like that before. The kind that slides down each vertebrae of the spine. His announcement was a power flex, and it worked. I'm not trying to be here right now.

I thought Devyn and I were on the same page. She even made a point to say, "Let's get out of here." And I was so on board with that until this whole Anakin business started.

As we were making our getaway, she suddenly halted as if physically stopped by an unseen force. It caused me to jerk away from her, our hands disconnecting. Then she told me she thought it was a good idea for me to stay put since EyeStalker won't be expecting the hand check.

But I wasn't cool with that so I replied: "Nah, 'cause what if he comes onto you?" Shit, I hadn't forgotten what he'd done to Peewee.

Devyn remained distracted, making facial expressions over her shoulder. It was like she didn't even hear my concern. And after telling me to stay put again she sprinted off to a candlestick table on the outskirts of the event.

So here I am now, some lame-ass, watching Devyn turn her back on me (literally) as I just stand here doing nothing. Nevermind that my head is on the line and I'm basically a sitting duck.

I'm trying to trust Devyn. I'm trying to believe that she's got my best interest at heart. We're a team and that's what teams do—they have blind faith in each other. But going off on her own to confront Peewee's killer defeats the whole fucking purpose of why I came. And it's starting to make my mind turn. Like, how much do I even know about Devyn? She says she can see Peewee, but what if this is all some weird-ass con?

I don't trust my judgment in girls anymore. Just look at what happened with Abby. It's possible that I attract looney bitches. Maybe I have the word "sucka" tattooed on my forehead.

But the thing is...I do believe in ghosts. There have been a few incidents at Uncle Joe's farm. Things like cats spooked at nothing, animals let out of the barn—shit like that. And Devyn knows specific details about mine and Peewee's tutoring session. That I before E rule was something I never told anyone, especially Abby. Didn't want her making fun of me.

Not to mention there are things Devyn does when she isn't aware of me watching. Things like eyerolls and scoffs or even subtle body language that proves she's seeing something on the other side. And it's no secret a ghost like Peewee wouldn't be the easiest to handle. I bet she's bossy and controlling, much like how she was in my writing session.