17:00 | an ultimatum

A SLIVER of sunlight wakes me up in the morning, peeking through the blinds

A SLIVER of sunlight wakes me up in the morning, peeking through the blinds. Ace spoons me from behind, an arm wrapped gently around my waist. His breathing runs heavy in my ear but I don't mind. I like being this close to him.

I get chills thinking about his hands on my body last night. How his lips felt against mine. The feel of his tongue softly exploring my mouth.

Everything about Ace has me spiraling out of control. I've never moved this fast with a guy before, but I've also never felt so strongly about one, either. We talked for hours before drifting off to sleep. I opened up more about Aunt Atheena and my fear of becoming her. He talked about his dad and how much he misses him, especially now.

Whenever I see athletes like him on TV, I assume they've hit the fucking lottery. That they're these untouchable gods and can get whatever they want. Life on a silver spoon. But Ace has shown me that he's never had it easy. And in his hour of need, the ones who should've been here for him ended up questioning his character. That has been his greatest misfortune in all of this. Just another reminder that fame doesn't equal true happiness. 

My phone starts to buzz in my pocket. I'm shocked it even has juice. Trying my best to not wake Ace, I slowly untangle myself from him and sit up.

I see it's my mom and gulp just a little bit.

"Hello?"

"Devyn Le'Anne Brooks, where the hell are you?"

"Chill, Ma. I spent the night at Lauren's."

"And you didn't have the common courtesy to let your mother know? Girl, don't act brand new."

I roll my eyes. "I'm sorry, I just...I got caught up at the library again."

"Mm. The library." An angry huff. "That lie might work with Daddy but you forget that I created you from my own womb. I know you're with a boy."

"Mama, don't be like that."

Ace stirs behind me. I slide to the edge of the mattress, shieldIng the sound of her voice.

"Tell me I'm wrong," she snaps. I go quiet for too long. "Exactly as I thought. I just hope you're being smart, Devyn Le'Anne. Because I will straight up murder you if you get pregnant before a degree sits in your hand."

"Ma."

"Don't Ma me, girl. I am nun-school serious over here right now." She sniffs. "Shoot, your father is coming....Well when will you be home? It's 11:00 AM."

Ace places a hand on my arm, concerned. He slides to the edge of the bed with me.

I sigh. "I'm about to head home now."

"That's right. You are."

"That's what I said! Bye."

"Nuh uh."