03:00 | murray hall

"SHIT

"SHIT. MY bars are down. I'm getting like no service in this part of campus." I shrug and toss the phone into my purse. "I hope Ace got my text."

Peewee walks infinitely faster than me. It was all I could do just to get her to stop long enough so that I could text Ace an update. 

"Did you hear me?"

It's like talking to a moving train.

"Peewee?" I try again.

"Huh?" She spins around. "Sorry, I just can't stop thinking about how all this time it was Ben. Like, I'm so fucking irritated."

"You guys have been rivals since middle school. I guess his jealousy got the better of him."

"True, but to kill me over a scholarship? How petty." She growls and kicks a rock. "If someone's gonna kill me, kill me for a damn good reason. For example: if I can't have you, no one will. Or kill me for my inheritance, gosh. But not over some stupid scholarship."

"I'm sorry it wasn't a more dramatic reason?"

"If the guy had just expressed how he felt, I would've let him have it."

"You would've?" I raise a brow.

Peewee looks off sadly. "He never gave me the opportunity, but as much as I couldn't stand him, I didn't hate him. Not until now." She kicks another rock and it pings off a window.

There aren't as many people out as before but the ones that look don't bother me anymore. I don't care if people see me talking to myself and make faces. Like why should I force myself to blend in when they're the ones lacking sight?

Of course visiting Aunt Atheena changed my whole perspective. This thing I've been calling a curse is actually an opportunity to help people get to that next stage in life. And despite all of the close calls, helping Peewee has even been a little fun. I can't recall a college class ever making me feel this aware of myself. So when the time comes to lead Peewee to the Light, it'll feel good. Like I'm fulfilling this destiny written in the stars or some shit like that.

"Okay, I need you to promise something," I say as we near Murray Hall.

"You don't have to say it," Peewee sighs. "Dev, taking possession of you crossed so many lines and I won't even think to do it again."

I snort. "Glad we're on the same page."

"No matter how upset I get at Ben, I won't jump your bones. Promise."

"Only you could make a promise with sexual undertones."

"You love my dirty little mind. Admit it." She wiggles her brows and I roll my eyes.

Since Peewee has been to Ben's dorm for study sessions, she knows the way. We wait for a resident to leave the premises so I can catch the door. Once we slip in, we head for the second level—Peewee reminiscing about all the parties she attended here as a freshman.