00:00 | i want freedom

I WAKE up in Devyn's arms, dazed and exhausted

I WAKE up in Devyn's arms, dazed and exhausted. It feels like I put my body through the Ironman Triathlon. I guess getting possessed twice in one day will do that to a person. But that mango scent fills my mind with so many good things and I force myself to sit up.

I'm on the floor with Devyn, who was cradling my head in her lap. There are two paramedics in the middle of taking my vitals. They look relieved to see me awake.

Devyn herself smiles, kissing my cheek. "Welcome back."

I look around the room, my spinning vision stabilizing. The next thing I see is Kaycee and Uncle talking to the police. They use their bodies like human shields, like they're keeping them from coming any closer. And true to her word, Kaycee is recording everything on her phone.

Police swarm the room. Two have Ben under arrest, reading him his rights. The rest seem to be collecting evidence. They're confiscating his items, swiping his DNA from his pillow and toothbrush, even snapping pictures.

"Glad to see you're alright," a paramedic bellows. "Your body temp was so low, you were practically hypothermic."

"So strange. I've never seen such a fast recovery like that," comments the other one.

Devyn smirks. "Told you he'd be okay."

"How long was I out?" I ask.

"About fifteen minutes. I told the cops everything and Ben confessed. They're arresting him now."

My eyes widen. "You told them everything?"

Devyn gently shakes her head no.

The paramedics stand to their feet and the taller one says, "We still want to take you to the hospital, Ace. Just to practice due diligence, okay?"

I nod. "Can you give me a minute?"

"Of course. We're going to let the officers know since they need you to return to the station."

Hot blood rushes to my face, prickling my forehead like tiny needles. Big metal bars and barking police officers darken my mind.

Devyn must sense my fear because she leans over, grabbing my hand. "It's only to close out your file. They also won't be holding you accountable for the escape since it was their detective who aided you. Ben Crump's people worked that out for you."

I exhale my anxiety. "Thank God."

Devyn squeezes my hand and we stand up. For a moment we just hug each other, relishing the turn of events. The truth is out. I no longer have to hide.

"So what did you tell them?" I ask.

"That I suspected Ben all along but Detective Crawley wasn't helpful, so I took matters into my own hands by confronting him tonight. Ben confessed shortly after that. He knows I have his confession on my phone."