CHAPTER I

I was sitting on one of the branches of the acacia tree behind our tavern, silently praising the beautiful sight I was currently looking at

     I was sitting on one of the branches of the acacia tree behind our tavern, silently praising the beautiful sight I was currently looking at. The book I was reading earlier, Wuthering Heights, was now long forgotten, sitting mindlessly on my lap. It was no longer on the right page as the wind continued to blow it. It's a good thing I have a habit of scribbling in my books, so it is easy to find the page I'm currently at later on.

     I could see the entire village from above here, could see the forest that surrounds it, could see the massive castle on the outskirts of the forest. The village of Alverton was not known to have many inhabitants. Every time a new house was built inside the village, the wind always whispered the story of the village. According to the wind, the very first house that was built here was in circa 1850. Alas, after nearly a hundred years, the village now has more or less five hundred roofs for six hundred twenty-two inhabitants.

     Our tavern was one of the oldest buildings that are still standing in this village. It is known for the homemade ale and wine that we served along with a variety of foods such as roast meats, freshly baked breads, soups or stews, and freshly picked vegetables that we served to the travelers and locals.

     I watched as the villagers continued to enter and exit the tavern. The majority of them had a pleasant disposition; their contentment was visible by their smile. I sighed happily as I raked my eyes one more time over the area. I tuck my now closed book on my side as I carefully stand up on the branch I'm sitting on. I was minding my steps as I climbed higher than before. A bird as dark as charcoal flew past me as I finally settled down on the highest branch of the acacia tree. I keep an eye on it as it flies freely through the forest until it vanishes from view.

     There was no doubt about it. I'm a hundred percent sure that it was a raven. Curious. They don't normally leave the forest or the castle on their own accord, unless they need to deliver something in the village. Not even a second later, my question was already about to get an answer as I saw my sister, Lula, exit the tavern and run hurriedly into our backyard, where this tree was planted.

     "Estelle! Estelle get down here!" she shouted as she reached the base of the tree. "There is something you need to see!" she hastily added, out of breath, if I might add.

     "What is it, Lula? I don't think it's that important!" I replied loudly enough for her to hear. I don't think it's a great idea to shout at the top of the tree; the whole village might hear it.

      "This is more important than sightseeing at the top of the tree like a bird, which you imagine yourself to be! Come down here and I might consider you as the lady you truly are!" Lula fumed as she paced back and forth. Sometimes I forget that she's only ten when she starts acting like that. God, she's scarier than our actual mother.

     Not wasting any more time, I climbed down the tree, which, if I'm being honest, was harder than climbing up. The last branch was still five feet higher than the ground, so I just jumped down, my feet gracefully landing on the ground. I moved my platinum white hair out of my face before I faced my still fuming little sister. "Why do you always need to get me angry before you act like a civil person?"