CHAPTER V

As I predicted earlier, Amedee was already waiting for me on the first clearing

      As I predicted earlier, Amedee was already waiting for me on the first clearing. She was just standing there, observing the area. She was wearing a mellow yellow Sunday dress, in contrast to my dark blue, almost black, dress.

     A wide smile spread on her face as she heard me call her name. Everything about her screams warmth and cheeriness. Like me, she was also wearing the academy bracelet on her left wrist. But instead of blue stone, hers was the color of blood. Yet another question was formed in my head.

     Without further ado, we started to make our way towards the academy, following the track that was drawn on the map. For the first twenty minutes, Amedee and I walked in silence, letting our footsteps be the only thing that made noise. Amedee was the first one to break the unnerving silence.

     She started telling me a story about her recent encounter with a fairy, or as we called them, a diwata. She told me how the diwata warned her about mindlessly walking in the forest. You see, Amedee was a very clumsy girl, and the diwata didn't want her to harm the trees. "She's more concerned about the tree than me! It's like, if I tripped and got hurt, she would still blame me, because, well, I tripped! It's not like, it's my fault the tree let its root peek through the grounds!" She ranted.

     A small smile crept its way through my face. Amedee was a very interesting girl; she's quite different from what I imagined her to be. She doesn't care if other people think that she's out of her mind, or that she's too different from the rest. She just likes being herself, even if she ends up being a loony. After all, one isn't one hundred percent sane as they perceive themselves to be. We always have a little madness inside us, or maybe in some, there is only a little saneness inside them and the rest is all madness. But nevertheless, it's okay. After all, there wouldn't be a balance if there wasn't any peace and chaos.

     "And the way she looked at me, oh goodness, it's like she has a permanent scowl on her face!" Amedee's eyes twinkle as she recalls the memory. Quite peculiar, if I may say. Yes, peculiar is one of the many things Amedee is.

     I let my mind wander for a second before I focused my attention back on Amedee.

     "Have you ever seen one?" She stopped walking to look at me for a second before she started to slowly walk again. Yep, slowly.

     "No. I don't think I have," I answered flatly, not really in the mood nor in the right frame of mind to engage in conversation right now.

     Large trees, such as acacia and balete, are considered to be home to diwatas. They are nature's guardians, bestowing blessings or curses on people who benefit from—or harm the woods. We don't exactly live near a forest, so I haven't gotten the chance to encounter them yet. But since we have a big acacia tree just behind our tavern, I think it won't be impossible for me to finally meet them.

     As if sensing my change of demeanour, Amedee quickly changed the topic to the Magos Academy. Just like me, she was also nervous about our current situation. That's why she tried to steer the conversation as far away from the academy as possible. But we also both know that we can't avoid it forever.