CHAPTER VI

It was already starting to get dark, the sky that was once a clear blue was now a plethora of colors as the sun took refuge behind the hills; yellow, pink, purple, and orange

It was already starting to get dark, the sky that was once a clear blue was now a plethora of colors as the sun took refuge behind the hills; yellow, pink, purple, and orange. The scene before me looked straight out of a painting.

One of the reasons why I loved to sit on the acacia tree behind our tavern was that I got to watch nature do its work on Earth. I wish I could do it again.

We were late, we know.

We almost got lost at least three times. We might not be able to get back on track if it weren't for the ravens. Amedee even thought that maybe it was the duwende playing with us. You see, there are certain types of duwende who enjoy pulling pranks on people. I've been muttering "Excuse me" at every step since she told me that. It is my way of showing respect and avoiding disturbing spirits and other creatures who live in these areas.

But then we came to a halt in front of the largest tree in Arnbel Forest, the Petersianthus quadrialatus, also known as the rosewood tree. And there, just a few meters away from us, was the gate. We can't still see the castle from where we currently stand, for it was surrounded by a tall and never-ending brick wall. If not for the lantern that is hanging on either side of the gate, we wouldn't notice that we have already reached our destination.

The brick wall appears to have been pasted here from the pages of a book rather than built brick by brick. It rises straight from the earth, startling the eye. We walked closer to that ancient wall, my eyes absorbed by the pathway of the mortar, in awe at the strength with which it held onto its bricks.

Amedee desperately tried to meet my eyes as she first noticed the group of people who seemed to be waiting for our arrival on the other side of the gate. I took a deep breath and swallowed the lump in my throat before I encouraged her to have the strength to finally walk inside the gate.

Every step I take is calculated inside my head, afraid that I will make a fool of myself. Once inside, I looked at them one by one. There are eleven people in total, me and Amedee included. There were three males, four were females, and the other two were unidentified. They were wearing a black cloak and their faces were hidden by the hoods on their heads, making it difficult to identify them. They also both used the same crest pin to close the chest part of their cloaks.

"Finally, took them long enough," the other cloaked figure said, based on the voice, I was sure that he was a man. He pulled out a scroll from inside his pocket and started to call out our names. "When I call your name, step forward and show us your bracelet. Is that clear?"

We all answered yes, all at once.

"Haley Swiss, born on the 10th of July."

The lady, whose name is Haley, stepped forward and showed the academy bracelet on her right wrist. I noticed that the stone was the same as Amedee's.