CHAPTER II

The village has little to no idea about the academy itself, for I wasn't lying when I said that it is one of the finest and most expensive academies in our world

     The village has little to no idea about the academy itself, for I wasn't lying when I said that it is one of the finest and most expensive academies in our world. Meaning, only those who were born with a gold spoon in their mouth were the only ones who got the privilege of attending the academy. Meaning, no one in our village has ever set their foot inside, or outside, the academy. Nor do they have a chance to experience the impeccable education that the academy has to offer. Meaning, we don't have anyone who can share with us any information about the academy; what's happening inside it, what the castle looks like inside, do they actually go to an actual class, and so on and so forth. We only rely on the whispers of the wind.

     So imagine the shock on my mother's face when we informed her of the letter that had arrived just an hour ago. It was mostly Lula. She immediately ran to our mother after she read the letter, running giddily down the stairs as if she'd been the one who received the letter. Then, before she even set her foot on the last step, she started rumbling. That kid can't keep her mouth shut for a minute, even if it means living.

     A loud gasp was heard in the room, for my mother wasn't the only one who had heard the shocking news. Everyone, and I say, everyone who's inside the tavern has heard the ramblings of my sister. And it was only a matter of time before half of the villagers rushed inside the tavern to hear the news first-hand. I have my fair share of gossip, so I wasn't surprised when the news circulated pretty quickly. Our village was known to be small, after all.

     The villagers were gawking at me openly as I sat down on one of the high chairs at the counter. Questions were being thrown everywhere; laughter and congratulations filled my ears, making me roll my eyes. Really, why do they have to be so ignorant? I much prefer watching them from the top of the tree than from a close distance.

     "Young Willow! You're the talk of the village! Is it true what they say?"

     "Did you really get in?"

     "Do you submit an application or something? How did they accept you?"

     "Do you know the girl that lives down by the Argami Lake? Agis Faralei's daughter?" This caught my attention. I searched for the person where the voice came from. It was a man who looked like my father's age. He was looking at me expectantly. I answered his question with another question.

     "Why do you ask?"

     I really have no idea who he is referring to. I mean, I don't have any friends, nor do I want to have any in our village. It is only fair that I don't know any of their names, for they don't really interest me. But the mere mention of this girl has ignited something inside me.

     "Young Faralei also received her acceptance letter. I ought you want to know," he responded with a kind smile on his ageing face. I nodded in understanding, "Thank you for letting me know."