Chapter 14

~Asta~

Right, I was bleeding. I really am that dumb. I was scared. I don't want to die yet! I have so much things to do! Father finally began to care about me, I found a friend, I have a chance to prove that I'm not useless, and I'm supposed to die? I don't think so.

I immediately started rushing to the shore, but as it was with water, it was slower than usual, so I had no chance to flee. Then I felt pain and fell down. The last thing I saw was the terrified and desperate faces of my Father and friends.

***

~Langris~

I was in the waiting room, near the operating room where a doctor was fighting for Asta's life. Honestly, I didn't know what was going on until his father started screaming. Then I saw the fin and Asta standing there, unaware, and I began to feel scared. And then that... shark or whatever jumped on him and they vanished under the water. Fear paralyzed me. I couldn't move. I could only watch as his father and Mereoleona tug his body out of the water and the shark's jaws. I vomited when I saw him.

He didn't have any skin on his ribs, and his left arm was limp and you could see the bone. His head and face were completely covered in blood, so much that I didn't know where the blood was coming from. And that terrified me.

Then I don't know what happened. I just suddenly was with everyone in the waiting room. Every minute felt like an hour. I prayed that he would get out of this alive. I felt Finral hug me and pat me on the back, but it didn't help. Asta's father was pacing around the room, trembling. He was still covered in his blood. I looked away, not wanting to vomit again.

***

I don't know how long we spent waiting, but finally the doctor got out of the room. He was covered in blood. I stood up and almost fell, because my legs were all jittery. Good thing that Finral caught me.

"How is he?" Nozel asked.

The doctor looked at all of us, seemingly not knowing what to say. He opened his mouth and closed it after a second, then shook his head with a sad expression on his face.

"I'm sorry" he whispered, and I felt like my whole world was crushing down.

I was standing just because nii-san was holding me, but he sat me down on a chair. I felt tears running down my cheeks.No, no, no, no. It's impossible, right? Asta couldn't die! He couldn't! He wouldn't leave me alone!

My chest hurt, as if my heart was on fire. I began sobbing, and Finral hugged me and stroked my back.

"No..." I hiccuped.

"Shh..."

~Nozel~

"Please tell me you're joking" I pleaded, my voice cracking.

I couldn't lose Asta. I couldn't.

"I'm sorry. I did what I could, but the damage was too severe. Furthermore, there was poison in his bloodstream. He probably stepped on some poisonous creature. He really didn't have a chance."

That's not true, that can't be true! My son must live!

"I want to see him" I demanded, shaking uncontrollably.

"This way" he sighed sadly, and I barged in.

On trembling legs I came up to the bed, on which there layed a body covered by a white sheet. I breathed heavily, before I took the sheet off and looked at the face of my son. I felt emptiness and despair.

I won't have a chance to spend time with him, to hug him, to teach him how to manage the house. Nothing. My son... passed away. And it was my fault. If I was faster, if I ran up to him and not just stood there... He would be by my side now.

I cupped his face in my hands and looked at him closely. Now it was covered in stitches. There were some droplets landing on his face. After a moment I realized these were my tears.

"I'm sorry I was such a terrible father. I'm so sorry" I whispered "I never wanted our relation to turn out this way, you know?" my voice trembled "It's just... After Richita's death... You looked just like her..." I regretted every time I intentionally caused him pain. I regretted not spending more time with him. "Despite your thoughts, I have always and will always love you. Even if you don't have magic" I said quietly "So please... I don't know kow, but come back" My voice cracked, and I began sobbing.

I felt someone hug me from behind. I turned around and hugged Fuegoleon back, who was also crying.

***

Today was the day of Asta's funeral. Today, I was supposed to bury my only son next to my beloved. After his death I only felt empty.

Before, I had a goal, which was to keep him safe from everything that could hurt him in the future. It was for him that I was getting stronger as a magic knight... And now he's gone. I have no way of filling in that void. I don't want to fill it. I want my son back.

The funeral was short, the only people present were the ones from the trip and Lord Julius. I was standing next to Fuegoleon when someone gave me their condolences. I don't know who, because it didn't matter. What mattered was that my son, my only purpose in life, was gone. What am I supposed to do now?

***

~Third person~

That day would forever remain in the minds of a few people. Namely Father, who's son left behind him a hole in his heart. A certain blue eyed alpha, for whom the beta's death was a loss of a first friend and crush. The Vermillion Family, who will always remember the laughter of the young beta echoing through their halls and hearts, especially their youngest member. For all of those people, nothing will ever be the same.