Chapter 22

<Asta>

I decided to take my chance when the cannibals began running away.

"Liebe, untie us!"

The spirit helped me and Daichi. We both hurried to free the rest from the cage. But before I could even touch the lock, I felt a presence behind me. I looked back and saw a cannibal with a spear, ready to stab me. I closed my eyes, but nothing hit me. I peeked and saw that the man has been thrown into a nearby wall by the gryphon.

I sent him a grateful look, then turned back and began working on the lock.

"Hurry up, we don't know how much longer the gryphon's gonna last" Daichi prodded at me. I kicked him in the shin, letting him know to shut up.

"It's open!" I cheered after a moment.

All three of them hurried to get out, not waiting for me to step away, so I got hit with the door.

"Oww" I whined, rubbing my nose.

"Let's go" Daichi spoke up. I looked at him, irritated with his heartlessness. Someone could've apologized, at least!

Everyone took off, while I looked back at the gryphon. It saved us and I didn't want it to be harmed. I saw that it was doing well, but I still wanted to help it. I can't just abandon it like that.
I didn't even get a chance to lift a finger however, as Kouchi grabbed my arm and pulled me away to the others. I obediently ran with him, but my mind stayed on the gryphon.

God, please, let it be okay.

***

When we escaped, we found an abandoned house - two days walk away from that village - in which we stayed. We spent a few days there, licking our wounds and foraging from the forest.
I felt good being with these people. We got along surprisingly well, maybe except for Aki's sister, but besides that it was okay. Even Liebe came around, and that was not an easy feat.

Together we gathered wood, food. We played around the fire that we made in the houses fireplace. It was really nice. Maybe I could even call them friends? We went through so much together after all... Barely, but still.

Considering them friends shouldn't hurt, right?

***

"Okay so..." I started "Since we're relatively safe now..."

"I want to go home" the hysterical girl cried.

I sighed heavily, counting to three in my mind, so that I do not punch her. I should't hit a girl, especially a one like that. I've had a few close calls these past few days.

Calm down Asta. You know better how to behave than her... Calm... She's just a village girl...

Ugh... My inner noble is coming out because of her. I hate it. I shoved those thoughts deep down and decided to forget about them. I don't want to feel superior than them. I shouldn't because I'm not. We're equal. But sometimes it's hard to remember that. After all, I've been raised as a noble for these past ten years.

"So can someone enlighten me what is it than you actually want from me?" I inquired, and everyone fell silent. "No offense. I like you, well, most of you" I looked at the girl "But you have to go back, and I don't know what you expect from me. Freeing you was spontaneous."

Apparently no one knew the answer to that question, because we just sat there, looking at each other for ten minutes. I didn't actually want to part with them, but I couldn't just keep them for myself. Their families must be worried sick. If not for Kouchi's mother, I would keep him with me, but he actually has a person that loves him, so I don't have the right to intervene.