Chapter 20

<Asta>

I looked with shock at everyone in the room. I didn't know what to say. I didn't understand what's happening.

"Wha..? What's going on?" I asked, confused.

"Today's your birthday!" announced Liebe, shoving a piece of cake into my hands.Birthday...? Mine?

"Don't tell me you've forgotten" Mikuno said.

"I... I... I really don't know what to say" I stuttered. An uncomfortable silence fell upon the room.I really lacked the words. I don't know if it's because I was moved, or because I just didn't know what to say. My birthday wasn't particularly celebrated. On this day they usually picked on me more, so I tried to not remember them. It hurt less this way.

"Why?" someone asked, cutting the silence.

"I haven't celebrated my birthday for five years now" I blurted out, which I immediately regretted. It was... embarassing, admitting it before a crowd of people.

I felt bad, because everyone worked so hard and I can't even properly thank them. I even began to doubt them on the way. I'm awful. I didn't do anything to deserve these people.

"Oh my god, did they neglect you at home?" Mikuno asked casually.

I tensed and laughed, trying to hide my nervousness. I didn't want anyone to know how they treated me at home. Ever.

Mikuno looked at me worriedly, probably understanding that my laugh was fake. Luckily he didn't say anything. Maybe he didn't want to cause a scene, or he just didn't care.

'Don't even joke about that, Mikuno-san! Asta is too good to neglect him!" scolded a woman, who's child I occasionally babysat. She came over to me and gave me a gift. "Here you go, sweetie. Unfortunately I can't stay, but I hope you will have fun" she kissed my forehead and left.I rubbed my forehead, feeling exceptionally weird. No one did that since... well, since my mother's death.

Others agreed with her, then also gave me gifts and left. It took some time, since there were at least a few hundred people which came with whole families, but finally they left me, Liebe and Mikuno alone.

I hoped that the blacksmith forgot about his joke, so I smiled and proposed that we eat cake. His look told me that he will come back to this, but for now he remained silent. Liebe looked at us with doubt. He was probably thinking if he should intervene or not.

We sat at the table and I slowly began to eat. I felt really nervous. I feared that Mikuno was going to bring up that topic, but luckily Liebe was running his mouth and the time quickly passed 'till the evening.

***

At around 10 PM I was washing the dishes, after Liebe went to sleep telling me not to get into any trouble.

Me? Trouble? It sounds as if at any moment I could do something stupid... I mean, I could, but it doesn't mean I will!

I almost jumped when I heard a chair scrape behind me. I turned around and saw Mikuno. I focused on the dishes.

"Asta" I stopped moving "We need to talk" I gulped, feeling my heart come up my throat."About what?" I asked, trying to hide the tremble in my voice.

"Sit" he pointed at a chair.

I turned around and sat down. I did it as slowly as I could. I knew that it couldn't be called off, but I wanted to postpone it.

"Do you want to tell me something?" there was no anger in his voice. Actually I couldn't tell what he was feeling.

"Do you want me to tell you something?" I inquired cautiously, looking him in the eyes."Yes" he nodded "Can you tell me what's with your family?"