Chapter 8

Ayanokouji POV

The day has finally come, the start of the island exam, and another class conflict I have to get involved with. Although Horikita is supremely confident with her ability, it would be best if I keep an eye on her from afar. I still have to keep tabs on Class-C as well, and their eccentric and cruel leader. I'll start moving along as soon as I can, but I guess for now, I will enjoy the warm sun on the deck of the ship. It sure is surprising though, to think they'd rent out a cruise ship just for the use of the staff and students. The rest of the students seem to like enjoying themselves and the luxuries on the ship, prolonging the inevitable reality of school just a little longer.

"The sun is nice, sure is a shame we have to deal with this annoying exam, right Ayanokouji-kun?"

"Yes, everyone's cooperation will be necessary if we want to get at the top of this exam, we'll need to do our best to catch up with the other classes"

As the cruise ship arrives at our destination, we continue to wait as the ship takes a few rounds around the island, it would be a fine opportunity to scout out this place in the meantime. The students are gathered at one place and we all seem to be complete. However, Horikita doesn't seem to be present, though after a while I see her walking sluggishly towards our side of the class. I head down to check on her and see if everything is alright.

"A little late, aren't we? What happened to all of that motivation from the last time we met?"

"I was just reading a book and had to return it to its proper place, I don't find little gatherings with our classmates useful"

"For someone who's reading a book, your hair and uniform sure is messy" Horikita's eyes widen a bit but she quickly fixes herself.

Some time passes and we eventually head down to the beach and receive instructions for the exam. While the entire class is attentive, Horikita again seems to be having trouble and looking tired. This might be a precursor to something more troublesome, so I'll monitor her as well. The class eventually starts heading out looking for a spot to settle down. We eventually do find a convenient spot by the river, and the class agrees to set camp here. Almost as soon as we stop, conflict quickly came up with the placement of the tents. The boys and the girls are separated by conflict of interests, but Hirata was able to calm everyone down for the mean time, what a reliable guy. Looking again, Horikita was just at the corner this time, remaining quietly. I expected her to take action and insert herself as a semi leader here, but she still didn't do anything.

We eventually got to settle down and start working on improving the condition of our base. Horikita had been designated as the holder of our class's card, so she stayed in one of the tents to rest. Hirata had started to designate tasks, and so far the flow of work has been smooth. Fortunately, Yukimura and Karuizawa had cooled down after their little quarrel about how they should handle the points. I decided to go out and contribute so that I don't get left out, I also wanted to scout out the area and try making contact with the other classes. I'll have Kushida come along with me for that.

"Ok, now that the tents are set, we should start working around making this place clean. Could I ask some of you to start clearing more ground around us?" Hirata asked the class

A few hands were raised after Ike enthusiastically raised his hand to start helping. It seems his energy is infectious, either that or they didn't want to be outdone by the class clown. Sudou and Yamauchi decided to tag along with Ike, so it's good to see those 2 be productive.