10. The river

We followed Beavers and they led us towards the river, which is half melted and soon the ice will be all gone. We have to hurry, I don't wanna go into water. I can't even swim! At least I think, never tried it before.

"We need to cross, now!" Peter hurried, but none of us moved.

"Don't beavers make dams?" Lucy asked, glancing down at Mr. and Mrs. Beavers.

"I'm not that fast, dear." Mr. Beaver said, defending himself to not even think about it.

"We need to go and right now! Come on!" I called and was first to step down, Peter yanking Lucy's hand and following my steps, but Susan stopped us.

"Wait! Will you think about this for a minute?" What is she doing? More talking, more wasting time and we need to cross it!

"We don't have a minute." Peter snapped at his sister, irritated look on his face because she delay us.

"I'm just trying to be realistic." Susan tried to defend herself, and I lost my nerves.

"Guys, if you keep talking, the ice will be soon gone and we won't get to the other side! So shut your mouths and come on!" I didn't have to see their shocked looks on their faces, hearing ten years old girl talking like this. Well, what should I do? Maybe I look young, but psychically I'm older than them. Sudden howling made Susan finally move and she followed us down. 

We finally made it down and Peter tried to step on the ice, just for it to crack and Peter to take his foot back. (This did my best friend at lake but she fell into the water and dragged me with her, and it was winter) "Wait. Maybe I should go first." Mr. Beaver spoke, as he's smaller so lighter than Peter.

"Maybe you should." Peter nodded, a look of fear on his face. He's not afraid just for himself, but for his sisters they'll drown if the ice break. Mr. Beaver stepped on the ice, using his tail to check it.

"You've been sneaking second helpings, haven't you?" Mrs. Beaver spoke, hearing the quiet cracks under him.

"Well, you never know which meal's gonna be your last. Especially with your cooking." Mr. Beaver joked, getting his mate giggle. I let out small giggle at this pair and so I followed Mr. Beaver, others right behind me. The ice under Pevenies cracked, making Lucy shriek and they tried to avoid the cracks to not fall through.

"If mum knew what we were doing..." Susan began, but Peter cut her off by turning and snapping at her.

"Mom's not here." I know he don't wanna hear about their mom right now, as they don't know what's with her. Well, I don't even know nor have a single flash of my mom.

"Oh, no!" Lucy called and I looked up at top of the waterfall to see wolves running there and soon they were in front of us, stopping us when we tried to run to the other side. A wolf landed right in front Mr. Beaver, barked at him as Mr. Beaver hissed at him back and that wolf snapped at Mr. Beaver, his teeth gripping Mr. Beaver's neck and keeping him on one spot as Mrs. Beaver tried to get past me to help her mate, but it would just make more problems and that's not needed here. Peter pulled out the sword Father Christmas gave him and pointed with it at Maugrim, but we all could clearly see the fear written on Peter's face.

"Put that down, boy." Maugrim taunted him, getting slowly closer to us. "Some one could get hurt." 

"Don't worry about me! Run him through!" Mr. Beaver called to Peter, but he just kept his eyes on Maugrim, watching his moves as he tried to protect his sisters and Mrs. Beaever.

"Leave now while you can, and your brother leaves with you." Maugrim tried to manipulate Peter, but Peter is smart and recognize lies from truths. Well, Susan got tricked.

"Stop, Peter! Maybe we should listen to him!" Is she dumb or is she dumb?! Maugrim chuckled devily, saying "Smart girl"

"Susan, he's bluffing! It's a trap! He's just trying to manipulate Peter to give up so they can get us and get us to the Devil Witch! Don't believe him any word! He's lying!" I yelled to Susan to warn her. Maugrim growled at me, sending daggers my way as I smirk. He think I'm dumb?! 

"Well, well, feisty little kitty, aren't you?" Maugrim teased, smirking while snarling at me. I had to hold myself from jumping at him, because I know I'm no stronger than him and would be easy to take down.

"She's right! Don't listen to him! Kill him! Kill him now!" Mr. Beaver called, the wolf's teeth borring into his neck as he tried to wriggle out.

"Oh, come on. This isn't your war. All my Queen wants is for you to take your family and go." Maugrim again tried to manipulate, but Peter didn't flinch. More wolves appeared behind us, just the cracked ice and water blocking them from getting to us.

"Look, just because some man in a red coat hands you a sword, it doesn't make you a hero! Just drop it!" Susan yelled to Peter, but thanks to Aslan he had a brain apart from his sister. 

"No, Peter! Narnia needs you! Gut him while you still have a chance!" Mr. Beaver yelled to Peter, pain starting to coming from his voice. 

"What's it gonna be, Son of Adam? I won't wait forever. And neither will the river." Maugrim snarled at Peter. I looked over at the frozen waterfall as I heard a sound and realized it's gonna crack any while and I'm not alone who noticed it.

"Peter!" Lucy called to her brother and everyone looked at the cracking waterfall. I panicked, because we can't make it on the other side and when the waterfall breaks, the water will take us all and I think I can't swim!

"Hold onto me!" Peter ordered and stabbed his sword into the ice as his sisters clinged to him and Lucy held me to try and keep me with them. Soon, the waterfall broke and the water fall on us all and then I had to took deep breath as I was under water. I didn't see anything because my eyes are shut but I could feel I slipped from Lucy's grasp and tried to swam to the top by kicking my legs as I'm not gonna hold my breath for long. 

When I felt my head pop out the water, I took deep breath while somehow swiming over to the piece of broken ice and climbed on, digging my claws into the ice to not slip. I've never been scared as much as I'm right now. I spotted something or someone under water and then their brown head pop out the water, trying to swim. I realized it's Lucy and used my paw to get to her. I grabbed the back of her dress with my teeth and tried to get her up. She clung onto me and the ice I'm on as I used my paw to get us on land. 

"Thank you, Maggie. I would drown if it wouldn't be for you." Lucy smiled at me as she hugged my small wet body and then stood up, wrapping her arms around herself to keep herself warm as I shook myself to shake the water off me. Of course I won't get dry by just one shake.

"Your welcome. What wouldn't I do for my best friend?" I grinned up at her, her brows shooting up as she gasped when I called her my best friend. What? Is there something wrong with it? I never had a friend and Lucy is my first one, along with her three siblings but to Lucy I have more closer.

"Lucy! Maggie! Lucy!" 

"Lucy! Maggie!" We could already hear Peter's and Susan's calling for us so we head towards them, soaking wet. 

"Has anyone seen my coat?" Lucy called, bringing their attention to us as she tried to keep herself warm with her arms, as she probably slipped from her coat Peter is holding right now. When they saw us, a look of relief took upon their faces.

"Don't you worry, dear. Your brother's got you well looked after." Mr. Beaver said, smiling. Peter wrapped the coat around Lucy, but I don't see how is it supposed to keep them warm when the coat is cold wet? They'll maybe just catch cold. 

"And I don't think you'll be needing those coats anymore." Mrs. Beaver added and we all turned just to see the snow on the trees melt and replace it with flowers. The winter's ending.