14. The Devil came to camp

Everyone are surrounding the path to dad's tent as we ran there. Pevensies stopped aside as I walked beside dad, waiting for the Witch to come. I turn back into my lion form while running. What she wants from us? 

"Jadis, the Queen of Narnia!" We see dwarf yelling at Narnians, them yelling at the Witch to go away. Very funny how she call herself a Queen of Narnia. So much funny. The Witch is being carried by, trolls? I don't know what sort of creature these are but know are not friendly. I can feel the tension and dad's anger which he's trying to hide and stay calm in the air. They set the Witch down and she stood up, death looking at me and dad after she gave Edmund some stare.

"You have a traitor in your midst, Aslan." She said, lifting up her chin. How dare she call Edmund a traitor?! She tricked and manipulated him and he fell into her trap!

"He is not a traitor, Witch. You tricked him, manipulated him and he fell for it and then you forced him to things he didn't want to do." I called, stepping forward while glaring at the white devil. Her eyes fell on me, her dark cold eyes of no emothion borring into mine golden. 

"Well, well, isn't this our long lost little princess? Maggie, was it, right? Your cub, Aslan?" The Witch teased, her gaze meeting dad's as he growled.

"Leave her to me." I heard dad whisper to me. "The name of my daughter have no right to come from you. And his offense wasn't against you." Dad said now to Witch.

"Have you forgotten the laws upon which Narnia was built?" The Witch remind him.

"Do not cite the Deep Magic to me, Witch. I was there when it was written." Dad said with growl, making the Witch smirk coldly. I put my paw on his in like calming maneuver. 

"Then you'll remember well that every traitor belongs to me. His blood is my property." The Witch said, getting more and more on my nerves.

"Try and take him then." Peter suddenly pulled out his sword, sending daggers her way. I suppose he learnt a lesson.

"Do you really think that mere force will deny me my right, little king?" The Witch teased, looking amused from Peter's actions. She then turn back to us. "Aslan knows that unless I have blood, as the law demands," She turn her back to us. "all of Narnia will be overturned and perish in fire and water. That boy will die on the Stone Table, as is tradition. You dare not refuse me." She point at Edmund, gasps coming from Narnians. No, I won't let her kill Edmund. 

"Enough. I shall talk with you alone." Dad decided and turn to his tent, walking there. I followed but was stopped. "I said alone, Maggie. That means for you too." My face turn into unbelievable look. Is he kidding me?

"Why? Because I'm just a child? Because I wasn't here for 100 years? Because of her?" I blurred to him, refusing to just sit and wait till their pep talk ends. 

"Yes and no. Just wait outside with others." And that was his last word before he disappeared in his tent, me watching it with frown. That's not fair. I'm smarter than he thinks. With huff I turn and made my way to Pevensie siblings, sharing glare with the Witch that walked around me after dad into tent. I hope he at least get Edmund out of this trouble.

____Later____

It's been almost 30 minutes dad and the With are discussing Edmund's death. We all rather sat than stand as we knew they won't talk for short. As everyone began standing up, meaning they finished talk, I stood up too. The Witch burst from the tent, slowly making her way to her chair with no words but giving Edmund looks. After her dad comes out.

"She has renounced her claim on the Son of Adam's blood." Dad informed us and everyone began to cheer, until the Witch spoke.

"How do I know your promise will be kept?" What does she mean by promise? What dad promised? Dad roared at her with his mighty roar, making her sit back in her chair and that made everyone laugh as she was carried away. I look over at dad, seeing his face down. What happened? Why is he sad? Something is off. Something happened back there. And I'll find out what.

____Later____

It's now evening as the sun slowly sat down, the moon instead coming up and shining down at us. Now me and dad are making our way at celebration where are fauns playing music, others dancing and cheering while having fun. I don't really know what we're celebrating, Edmund's survival or Narnia having a hope to be like before. 

I convinced dad to come along as he didn't want to but using my daughter pleases and eyes, he agreed. And so now we, me jumping and running around in joy and excitement, are walking there. Dad sat aside, still close to fire as fauns and Lucy with Susan are dancing around. 

I went to Peter and Edmund that are sitting on the side, watching their sisters so I grabbed their sleeves with my teeth and forced them to dance and I join them, somehow dancing. I look over at dad, seeing him still in the same position and watching others. But in his eyes I can see something. Is it, sadness? Is he sad? 

I went to him to cheer him up somehow, sneaking from behind to surprise him. When I'm sure he don't see me, I jumped at his head with roar, errr meow and laugh, making him laugh too but just a little.

"Did I scare you?" I teased playfuly, trying to look at his face as he chuckled.

"Of course." He responsed with clear sarcasm in voice, but then his face again turn into slight sadness as he again look at the dancing Pevensie siblings. Now's my chance.

"What's wrong? You look sad." I asked, rolling down from his head so I can look better at his face, but he didn't at me.

"It's nothing." Was his only answer but I'm sure there's more behind it.

"You promised something to the Witch. What did you promise her?" I'm getting worried what did he promise her. He kept quiet, trying to find something but he can't back off of this, not this time. He sighed, standing up.

"Walk with me." And so I stood up, following him on the hill he talked before with Peter.

"After everyone will be asleep, I won't be here anymore." Dad said as he sat on the edge, watching the celebration from up there. I frown.

"What do you mean by that?" I ask, my voice quiet like if anyone is listening us.

"To save Edmund's life someone have to replace his place, and that someone is gonna be me." I freeze, not wanting to understand what he just said. No, it can't be happening. He can't do this to me. Not again. I just got back! I shot on my legs from sitting position, looking unbelievable and horror in eyes at him.

"No. No! Y-You can't do this! You can't do this to me! I-I just got back!" I blur at him.

"Maggie."

"It's not fair!"

"Maggie."

"We-We can do something about it! There must be something! I-I-I will replace Edmund's-!"

"Margaret!" I couldn't finish my sentence I didn't realized I'm saying as dad called me by my full name now with little growl to pay him attention. In his eyes is nothing but sorrow and apologizes. 

"You can't do nothing about it. No one can. What's supposed to happen, will happen. It's the only way to save Edmund's life." I can't believe him. He wants to leave me here. Alone. But I need him.

"You don't love me anymore?" I ask, my voice breaking after some time of holding it. He licked my head then nuzzling it, placing his forehead against mine.

"Of course I do love you. More than anything. And that will never change. But sometimes you have to make hard decisions. One day you'll understand." He said sadly, pulling away.

"Can I, can I atleast come with you?" I pleaded, knowing he don't want me to see it but I wanna keep him company at least.

"Maggie-." He was about to protest but I cut him off.

"Please. At least to keep you company. I don't want to leave you alone." He smiled sadly at me.