Photograph | Peter Parker

✍ Summary: For all of his life, Peter has kept his love for you in a photograph. | 1.2k

🎶 This was inspired by "Photograph" by Ed Sheeran.

Loving can hurt sometimes. But it was the only thing that Peter Parker knew.

Love for himself, love for his family, love for his best friend, Y/N L/N.

You and Peter had been best friends ever since the two of you were in diapers.

But, the platonic feelings soon turned to romantic ones, the only problem was both of you were scared of the feelings being unrequited - so neither one of you said a thing.

You were the only one who gave Peter butterflies. You were the only one who constantly ran circles in his mind, day and night. You were the only one he couldn't imagine his life without.

Even if Peter still doesn't have the courage to say that to your face, he knows just how he could cope.

Through photographs.

You had given him a camera for his 11th birthday, which then fueled his passion for photography.

There was a box on his bedside table that only consisted of polaroid pictures of you.

Whenever the pain of not being able to hold hands with you, kiss you, be with you - he would just open the box and look at all the pictures he'd taken of you over the years.

He literally keeps his love for you in a photograph.

The two of you were hanging out in the library, trying to finish the essay about democracy in Ancient Greece.

Comfortable silence lay between the two of you, the only sound was the scratching of pen against paper.

Seeing you focused on your paper, Peter quietly took out his camera, making sure that only the shutter was peeking out of the desk before clicking the button.

A short click went off causing the boy to curse under his breath as you looked up from your paper.

"You know, if you wanted a picture of me - you could've just asked me." You teased, giving him a small smile.

He shrugged, hoping that you wouldn't notice the blush that rose up to his cheeks, "That's what you call a candid shot."

You smiled as you turned back to your paper, muttering, "You're adorable."

You mentally face-palmed yourself, having just called your crush adorable and possibly even broadcasted your feelings somewhere along the lines. You just had to pray that he didn't hear you.

Peter did hear you, but he just brushed it off, thinking that you were just teasing.

You played with the heart pendant on the locket that hung around your neck, it was a gift from Peter for your 16th birthday.

Whenever he asked, you had convinced him that the picture that rested inside the locket was one of yourself. But the truth is, it was a picture of him.

You always held that locket close to your heart, just where Peter belonged.

You knew that Peter only saw you as his best friend and not something more.

And you would rather bring your romantic feelings with you to the grave than to ruin your friendship with Peter.

Peter had just swung on to the rooftop of a building. He walked towards the edge, sitting down on the railing as he heaved a heavy sigh.

He loved being Spiderman, he really did, he loved helping other people. But, sometimes, it can be quite exhausting.

Taking off his mask to breathe in the fresh air, he pulled out a polaroid picture from the back pocket of his suit.

It was one he took when you had practically dragged him to the bookstore. He saw the way your eyes sparkled as you scanned book after book. He adored the way your nose would slightly scrunch up as you read the synopsis of the book in your hands.

In the picture, your head was slightly tilted to the side accompanied by the small smile gracing your lips as you examined the romance book in your hands. A stack of three other books rested on your other hand.

The mere action of looking at you, even if it's through a photograph, brought a smile to Peter's lips.

Another sigh, I'm Spiderman for goodness sake. He thought, I literally fight criminals and swing from building to building. But, when I try to tell my best friend that I love her, the words just get caught up in my throat and I lose all of my courage.

Throughout his life, you were one of the few constant things. You were there for Peter when he was at his happiest. You were there for him whenever he needed a shoulder to cry on.

He had seen you at your best and at your worst.

No matter what happened, he could always count on you to be there.

Checking his watch, it was almost midnight and since the streets seemed quiet tonight, he decided to call it a day.

Shooting a web towards the building in front of him, he started swinging from building to building until he saw a familiar figure walking by the lamppost on sixth street.

Peter started swinging towards you, landing right in front of you, almost scaring the living daylights out of you.

"Spiderman?" You said, puzzled, "What're you doing here?"

Peter forgot that he put his mask back on, so you couldn't see that it was him.

He opened his mouth to try and come up with a response when a gust of wind blew, carrying the polaroid picture that wasn't securely tucked into his suit pocket.

The picture landed just by your feet as you bent down to pick it up, Peter was starting to panic.

"Why do you have this?" You asked, flipping over the picture to see yourself, "How do you even have this? There's only one person who does candid shots of me and that is-"

Your gaze suddenly snapped up to the man in front of you, "Peter?"

The poor boy tried to shake his head in denial, but all it took was for you to take two steps towards him and pull off his mask.

"It is you." You said, bewildered, "You're Spiderman?"

A guilty look overshadowed his eyes as he looked down at his feet, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you. I didn't want to put you in danger. And, I thought that you would want to stop being my best friend if you knew."

You laughed, "Why would I? Peter, I've literally seen you in much more embarrassing situations."

Handing him back the picture you asked, "Why were you carrying a picture of me anyway?"

Peter took a deep breath, this was his moment to tell you the truth, "Because... everything just seems to get better whenever I see you, even if it's just through a picture. I am so utterly in love with you that if it came to the choice of putting the world in danger or being with you - then I would choose you no matter what. All I want to do is kiss you, hold you but I am just so scared of losing you - that's why I only told you this now."

You gaped at him, heart overflowing with joy, it was as if the fates were smiling down at you and decided to reward you on this fateful night.

You didn't realize that you haven't said anything to Peter yet.

"Y/N?" Peter's voice rang through your mind, "Please say something, you're scaring me."

You still didn't say anything, but stood on your tiptoes and crashed your lips to his. Without missing a beat, his hands found his way to your waist as he returned the kiss.

"Be my girlfriend?" Peter asked once the two of you pulled back for air, voice a bit husky.

You giggled, pressing another brief one to his lips, "I would love nothing more."