08

( on screen interview with claire williams, former team principal of williams racing )

".... you know there aren't many women like dakota in this sport. mac's got something special. after i stepped away from williams there weren't any women in these big important places in formula one anymore, so to find out that alphatauri were giving dakota her grandfather's old job, it made me smile. the drive and the passion that dakota mcmanus has is incredible, and it's something that i don't even think i saw in my own mechanics at williams. she's so in tune with what she does, and she gives her 110% every single race, every single weekend, every single free practice. we need more women like mac."

2022 SEASON

BAHRAIN GRAND PRIX

SATURDAY - QUALIFYING

The AlphaTauri garage was a hub of activity, both driver's suited up in their fireproof racewear and ready to go while Dakota hovered around the mechanics, performing her final checks on both cars before sending Pierre and Yuki do do their qualifying laps. 

Time and time again, Franz had told Dakota that she was just a manager now, she was to sit at the pit wall and monitor the car's data during the race, and to take the advice from the engineers as the next step, but the mechanic inside of her would not let her leave the cars in somebody else's hands.

Maybe it was less the mechanic side of her and more the anxious side of her, especially since her best friend and her boyfriend would be driving the cars. Maybe it was a conflict of interest, maybe it wasn't. Dakota thought her closeness to the drivers made her a better crew chief, a more cautious one.

"Alright, listen up!" Franz Tost shouted, calling the garage to attention. 

The engineers in their polo shirts lined up at the back, frozen in place, the put crew in their fireproof overalls and helmets taking seats on the folding chairs. Dakota stood at the back, McDonalds' cup in her hand as she sipped a drink that Marcus Ericsson, formerly of Alfa Romeo Sauber, had once told her was the Middle Eastern equivalent of a Sprite. She missed Marcus the same way she missed a lot of the drivers she had met over the years who had moved on to other things, like Romain Grosjean from Haas who was now competing in IndyCar, or Bendan Hartley, who was doing the FIA's Endurance Championship.

"It's been a whirlwind few years, and there have been a lot of changes in this garage. We've seen good crew members come and go, and a new breed of mechanics and engineers to take over. It's my pleasure to also welcome back Dakota as our crew chief, who I could not be more proud of." Franz grinned in her direction like a proud father. "I've had the pleasure of watching Dakota grow from a shy eighteen year old girl on internship, to a young woman influencing an entire generation of young girls who may one day join this world on the technical side."

The garage erupted into cheers, and Dakota's face went pink. Grinning widely, Yuki took her hand. The small man was only 5'2, and Dakota felt like she towered over him some days at 5'4, but that was nothing compared to when either of them stood next to Esteban Ocon. The AlphaTauri driver looked at his girlfriend with pure love in his eyes, and regardless of how awkward it would grow to be, Dakota rested her head on his shoulder.

"This truly is going to be a season like no other." Franz continued, "But under Dakota's influence, I'm pleased to introduce you to the youngest member of our crew, but certainly the brightest, our new mechanic, Vanessa Xu."

Vanessa Xu had been Dakota's idea. An avid car enthusiast, Vanessa had been inspired greatly by Dakota's success as an online influencer following the media frenzy around her when she became the youngest woman to be appointed to an F1 pit crew going into her first proper contracted year with Toro Rosso. Vanessa was one of the best, and quickest mechanics in the AlphaTauri garage, something that would mean everything in a race.