13

PlanetF1: "The decision to promote Dakota was premature": Red Bull's Helmut Marko on sister-team's pit crew  chief amid Bahrain failure.

March 21, 2022 

Skahir, Bahrain

Speaking to press outside the track in Sakhir, Red Bull advisor Helmut Marko, who also advises for sister team AlphaTauri, hinted that he doesn't support Franz Tost's decision to promote McManus at her grandfather's request.

"She's too young, and doesn't have even a quarter of the experience that her grandfather possessed." Marko stated. "In my opinion, the decision to promote Dakota was premature."

This comes in the wake of a confirmed offer from McLaren for McManus to work as a pit crew chief for the British team. When asked about McManus' performance today, McLaren Racing team principal Zak Brown stated that he believed the mechanical failure was  a perfect show of why Scuderia AlphaTauri was no longer a good fit for McManus.

Dakota McManus has yet to comment on her contract situation and the lack of faith her parent company seems to have in her, only stating that the team "[does not] know what happened."

2022 Season

SAKHIR, BAHRAIN

SUNDAY NIGHT - RACE DAY

As soon as the team got to the hotel, everybody scattered. Pierre was in no state to talk to anybody, and left the rest of the group in the hotel lobby without a word, leaving Dakota with a simple clap on the shoulder. 

Pierre Gasly had always been like that, but it still stung to watch him go. Dakota had always internalized failure.

Yuki squeezed her hand. "Are you ready to head upstairs?" There was worry in his eyes. 

Everybody on the team knew hoe personally Dakota took failure. It was during her second season with Toro Rosso where Danill Kvyat had first raised the alarm, concerned for Dakota's physical health after the dismal race results took a toll on her mental well being.

Of course, that was all before Danill took a third place podium in Germany, finally giving the mid-field team something to celebrate. But since the Russian driver had brought it up, Jake Volkov and Graham McManus had kept a close eye on the girl, making sure she was okay.

"I'll be fine." Mac gave Yuki a quick kiss on the cheek. "Go upstairs and take a shower. I'm just having a few drinks with Fernando. I need his advice about the McLaren offer."

"What are you going to do about it?"

"I don't know, Yuki." She held his hand tighter. "But I can;t keep going on like this. I really thought this was going to be our season."

"It's only been one race."

Dakota was barely listening. She checked that car five times before letting it out on the track. It had been fine in the practice sessions, fine in the qualifier. So why now? 

"I guess. At least Red Bull got what was coming to them."

Yuki laughed before kissing her again, running the pad of his thumb over Dakota's sculpted cheekbones, sadness evident in every pore of her skin. "Don't drink too much, okay? You'll call if you need anything?"

"Yeah. I love you." She said quietly, pulling the driver in for a hug, resting her head against his. 

Yuki always had a way of making Dakota face her feelings, but he never invalidated them. However small the issue, he was always there to listen. Yuki knew that she would come to him when she was ready to talk.