CHAPTER 2: Interlude, Rules

You were quite horrified to look at your reflection in the watering tin and see a child staring back at you.

On the other side of the fence, Eren was watching you with a curious tilt of his head, clueless as to why you were agitated.

You must be dead. You were sure of it. You were killed and sent to Hell for your sins, and there was no hell quite like the Fall of Shiganshina. But the fall was not going to happen for a few years.

You tried to recollect all you knew about this day. It was the day you met Eren Jaeger, your best friend in the whole world. Why now, of all days? Why not the Fall of Shiganshina? Why not a worse hell, like the day you had to bury his severed head?

"Eren," you whispered. "Is it really you?"

"Huh?" The kid in front of you seemed genuinely perplexed at the desperation in your eyes and your tone. "Yeah, how do you know my name?"

You would usually scowl, but now, you gaped.

"Eren!" a woman called. You snapped your head to see Carla approaching. "Hard-headed child, what did I say about bothering our neighbors?"

"But Mom," he complained. "She was just watering plants, you see? I'm not even talking!"

The mother pinched his ear, ignoring his complaints and smiling at you apologetically. "I'm so sorry about him," she said. "He's not good at interacting with other people."

"It's alright," you said without thinking. "It's good to have company."

The woman looked surprised but pleased. "Oh! Well, I'm sure Eren won't mind! Mind you, he's not very popular with the other children..."

Shivers crawled down your spine. Your conversation flowed so effortlessly, like you were predestined to say it.

An ache rattled your chest, painful. You knew now what this situation must be. You were going to have to live in a world where you had to relive moments with Eren again. There was no greater punishment than the reminder of your regrets. It was going to start all over again.

Your eyes widened.

It was going to start all over again.

A second chance. Life after death. Purgatory.

A loop.

You are quick to realize that you were stuck in a time loop

You are quick to realize that you were stuck in a time loop. You discern yourself thirteen rules of how the time loop works. You didn't know how you knew this, you just did. It was as though you simply woke up with the information already in your head.

You didn't know who forced you into doing this. Either way, it is clear that you don't have a say in the matter. You do what you've always done — you took up arms and pushed through.

If only someone had given you instructions on what to do. You weren't used to being alone when it came to dire situations. Everything that will follow is going to be pure trial and error on your part, and although you are worried of making the wrong choices, you are determined to set the path right.

As you begin your lives, you ball your fist and make yourself promise. You promise yourself and the people around you, although they are unaware of it, that by Thirteen, everything will be alright. Everyone you love will be safe.

In truth, the path laid ahead of you is 13 lives of suffering.