CHAPTER 19: Loop Ten

TEN

To free him, you take Eren's burden.

When you emerged from the Titan's nape on that day in Trost, steam emitting from your body and red strings laced to your flesh, the first thing Eren did was clamber up your Titan body and embrace you

When you emerged from the Titan's nape on that day in Trost, steam emitting from your body and red strings laced to your flesh, the first thing Eren did was clamber up your Titan body and embrace you. Tears welled in his eyes, sobs spilling out. He had thought you were dead, like the rest of his cadet corps squad. He couldn't bear the mere thought of you not being alive in his life.

Red lines ran down your face, much like claw marks. Eren traced them, unconsciously doing what you did to him in past lives that he secretly liked so much. He listened to your heartbeat and pressed a thumb against your pulse. You were not dead. You were alive.

You wrapped your arms around his back, squeezing. Weak, but alive. You were a Titan.

You had repeated some events from Loop Six and taken the Attack Titan once more. This time, it would be different. You knew how to wield a Titan now. You would go further than the previous death, adamant in living out the story till the very end.

You would fully take Eren's place in the original timeline. That way, he would be free at last.

You repeated a life. Again. It was your second time with the Attack Titan, your third time being a Titan, your ninth time being in the military, and your tenth time being alive. Taking Eren's place, you didn't resist after the Battle of Trost and let the Survey Corps imprison you. Commander Erwin and Captain Levi were strangely less lenient with you than they had been in Loop Five, most likely because you now had the same bloodthirsty and insane look in your eye that Eren had the first time.

You had to play dumb as you were chained to that pole in the courtroom and pretend not to know anything about your powers. You didn't want to get carted off to Mitras in the Military Police or become a foot soldier in the Garrisons. In the courtroom, you saw Eren to the side, his expression contorted with fury and fear as Premier Zackly and the MPs began to list reasons why to dissect you. With you being a teen girl, it felt even more uncomfortable. Mikasa had to hold him back from sprinting onto the podium and rescuing you.

"[Name] can save us!" he shouted. "She's my—she's humanity's hope!"

"Save your breath," the MP captain sneered. "Your girlfriend is a Titan who took the form of a child and infiltrated the Walls. Should we dissect you too? You look just as insane as she does!"

Now, you had to step in. You knew you should control your temper, but you couldn't help it. You were protective and obsessed after nine lives of imminent death, and any death threat towards Eren made your claws come out. It didn't help that you were a teenager in this body, easily angered and sensitive.

"He has nothing to do with this," you said. "Leave him alone—I'm the Titan, not Eren!"

The chain clattered against your wrists, bruising them. The Military Police drew their guns, pointing them at you, before a hard rubber boot made contact with your cheek. For a few moments, you didn't even have the time to think before another blow struck across your other cheek, and finally, your stomach, causing your mouth to wallow up with the salty taste of blood. You resisted the urge to spit it out.