CHAPTER 12: Loop Eight

EIGHT

Even a mother's love couldn't save Eren.

"Auntie Carla," you say, "if it's not too much trouble, could you help me buy seeds for Mama's garden?"

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

"Auntie Carla," you say, "if it's not too much trouble, could you help me buy seeds for Mama's garden?"

"Eh? Sure, dear, but wouldn't you rather be out playing with Eren?"

Your heart hammered in your chest as you glanced outside the window, at the wall. In a few minutes, the fall of Shiganshina would commence. You looked back at Carla and gave her a natural smile.

"Eren's always bothering me," you said. You quickly help Carla rearrange things before getting a grocery bag and opening the door for her, so she could step out with you. "He sulks all the time."

Carla laughed before ruffling your head. "He's only like that because he likes you."

"Oh, Carla!" You heard your mother call out, making you pause. "Are you accompanying [Name]? You don't have to."

"Don't worry, it's nothing!" Carla responded cheerfully, placing a hand on your shoulder as she turns her head. "I'll take care of her!"

You didn't even have the bravery to turn around and look at your mother, afraid that if you did, you'd break down and run to her, knowing her fate. You'd beg her to come with you. It hurt you every lifetime to know that you never really got to know your mother, or that she never got to know you.

"Bye, Mama," you said, just glancing back and waving. Your fingers are frozen stiff. "I love you."

With the voice of a child, you speak with the quavering pitch of adult devastation.

"I love you too, my dear!"

It's the last time you'd ever speak to your mother in this life, the last time you'd ever get to tell her that you love her. You didn't know how you've managed to come this far, letting her die again and again. It added to the tally of beloved things you've sacrificed for Eren.

You and Carla turned a corner and she chuckled at the way your lips turned down in a pout. "You're so sweet to your mother, [Name]. Ah, I wish Eren was still like that with me."

You looked at her earnestly. "Eren does love you."

"I suppose it's just natural for boys to become a bit mean and rash when they reach a certain age. Though, Eren is a year younger than you — I can't expect him to be as mature."

"It's good for him," you said, with a strangely judicious solemnity, as if you were an adult. "Acting like a child while he still can."

Carla stared, then covered her mouth and laughed. "Haha, [Name]! Your mother was right, you are an old soul—"

A clap of thunder crackled through the air. The ground shook, and out of instinct, Carla took hold of your arm to steady you. You gulped, readying yourself for the horror that was Shiganshina. It marked the start of every other horror that was yet to come.

THIRTEEN • Eren Jaegerजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें