[12]

As I come to my senses, I feel soft covers pulled up over my shoulder

As I come to my senses, I feel soft covers pulled up over my shoulder. Opening my eyes, I see someone has tucked me back into my bed. They even placed Herman in my arms.

Rolling onto my back I kick the covers off me. I rub my eyes sitting up straight in my bed. Looking to the clock on the nightstand, I see it's 9:15 AM. What shocks me is not the amount of sleep I got, it's the pitcher of water sitting on my nightstand. They brought me water?

Suddenly, it clicked. I don't have to go down stairs in the dark anymore. If I wake up in the middle of the night thirsty, I don't need to leave the comfort of my room. My heart flutters at the thoughtful gesture. I guess, no one wants a repeat of last night.

After finishing in the bathroom taking as much time as possible, I quit avoiding the inevitable and venture downstairs. I make my way to the kitchen practically holding my breath. What if they hate me now? They probably think I'm pathetic and weak. They literally saw me cry.

Making the last turn into the kitchen, I expect laughs and insults to be thrown my way. Instead, Luca notices me first. 

"Good morning, Parker!" He loudly exclaims. Jeez, no need to shout.

His yelling effectively caught the attention of everyone else in the kitchen. Oh, I see why he did it now, he was warning them of my presence. 

Glancing around the kitchen, I see Bruno and Luca eating what looks to be waffles at a table. Around the island sits Lorenzo drinking coffee, his computer open infront of him. Matteo is by the stove - he must be the one cooking. Lastly, Ares drinks some gross looking green smoothie leaning on the island. 

"G'morning" I say as I offer everyone a tired wave.

"Come sit." Bruno offers waving me over to the seat next to him. 

Reluctantly, I limp my way over. I'm too tired to care about hiding it right now. I'll regret that soon. 

Sliding into the seat, I notice my remaining brothers sit at the table as well. Bruno serves me some waffles to which I nibble on.

"Parker," Lorenzo says catching my attention.

I quickly look up meeting his gaze. I try to decipher the emotion on his face but just can't read him. 

"Let's talk about last night." He announces.

There it is, the thing I have been dreading all morning. 

I gulp and begin fidgeting with my fingers. 

"I apologize for what happened." Lorenzo starts.

I'm sorry, what? He's apologizing to me? I'm the one who broke a mug, woke everyone up, and threw a tantrum. 

"The man you saw is one of our many guards." He continues.

Why do they have guards?

"We have guards for our and your protection. With our families wealth and success, comes enemies, so they are a necessity" Lorenzo affirms.

Umm.. okay mind reader.

"Our guards were not informed of you as of last night. Naturally, they have since been made aware." Lorenzo informs me.

I watch Lorenzo whisper something to Ares. Ares nods in response, leaving the room. Not even a minute later Ares return but he is not alone. 

My eyes widen in fear as I recognize the man from last night. He's the one who had a knife! I feel my heartbeat begin to pick up. Why is he here?

"Parker, this is Stefanous. He is one of our guards." Lorenzo states gesturing to the man.

Observing the man, I find it odd that he seems to be scared. He's almost shaking next to Lorenzo.

"Stefanous was simply doing his job protecting us last night as he did not know who you were. Nonetheless, he is here to apologize" Lorenzo finishes. 

Lorenzo turns to Stefanous giving him a look that could kill. 

"M-miss Moretti, I sincerely apologize for my actions. I s-swear no harm will ever come to you by my hands." He nervously, but sincerely speaks.

I feel like I can finally breathe again. Last night was all just a big misunderstanding. 

"'S okay....was just a misunderstanding." I mutter to Stefanous. 

I know if I were in his situation, I'd want someone to reassure me. I even offer him a smile, which he hesitantly returns. 

"Respinto." Lorenzo says rolling the r. Fancy.

(Dismissed)

I watch Stefanous nod and hastily leave the kitchen. Once he is out of sight, Lorenzo turns to me. A look of utter seriousness on his face.

"Parker, you are family which means your safety is our utmost priority. What happened last night should never happen again." Lorenzo explains.

"I hope you can learn to trust us and feel comfortable enough to confide in us." He continues. 

Where is he going with this?

"With that being said, is there anything you would like to tell us?" Lorenzo asks raising his eyebrows. 

Uh oh. They can't be catching on to me already. I thought I was careful about hiding my limp. I'll just play dumb. 

"N-no." I reply avoiding eye-contact.

"Lying is not tolerated in this house. The truth will come out one way or another. I expect you understand this?" Lorenzo stresses.

"I understand" I meelky repond.

"Very well. Matteo and I are off to work. I trust you'll behave for your brothers?" Lorenzo states standing up.

"Yes." I all but whisper.

I watch him brush off the nonexistent dust from his pants before tightening his tie. Throwing his suit jacket over his shoulder, he exits the kitchen. 

Whilst watching his retreating figure, I don't notice Matteo appear next to me. 

"Be good, Bambina. I'll be home soon." He says kissing my forehead.

I watch him exit the kitchen as well. 

Did he just kiss my forehead? Did I just let him?

I can't help the smile that graces my lips. No one has shown me such affection since mom died. 

Sure Ares and Lorenzo are terrifying but, Bruno's not bad. Luca...well he's just too full of energy for me. However, Matteo so far has been amazing. Maybe, just maybe, I can get used to it here.

Plus, as soon as my injuries heal I won't have to worry about lying. 

I just can't get caught until then. 

[word count 1041]