[40]

The feeling of my body being lifted awakens me from my slumber

The feeling of my body being lifted awakens me from my slumber. Rubbing my eyes, I drowsily check my surroundings. I note that we have now arrived home and Ares is lifting me out of the car.

"Enjoy your nap?" Ares teases with a smirk, whilst still carrying me.

I dramatically drop my head back onto his shoulder, offering a huff in reply.

"Lorenzo wants to speak with you in his office." Ares informs me, completely ignoring my lack of answer.

Gently, he places me on my feet. I face Ares with a pleading look, my body involuntarily tensing.

"Do I have to?" I nervously ask. Enzo is probably so mad at me.

His only response is a nod of his head as he directs me towards the entrance of Lorenzo's downstairs office. 

Now, standing outside the large threatening oak doors, I send Ares one last desperate look. However, instead of coming to my rescue, he simply knocks on the door before walking away. 

Feeling betrayed, I try to calm my racing heart, as firm come in gains my attention.

Hesitantly, I reach out my shaky hand to push the door open a few inches. Keeping my eyes downcast, I enter closing the door quietly behind me. I've already made enough noise tonight.

As I sluggishly turn around, I'm met with Lorenzo leaning against the front of his desk. His face remains emotionless, only increasing my anxiety.

Wordlessly, he motions to a seat with a pointed glance. I hurriedly scamper to the chair, not wanting to anger him any further.

I try to control the shaking of my body as I stare at my shoes in worry. I've never gotten in trouble with my brothers before. They promised they would never hurt me though, right?

"Parker, please look at me." Lorenzo says in a surprisingly gentle tone, breaking the tense silent atmosphere.

I swallow harshly yet, reluctantly, raise my gaze to meet his.

"Can you tell me what's wrong, bambina? What caused your behavior at dinner?" He questions with concern lacing his words.

Okay... I was not expecting this reaction.

"...umm.. s'nothing.." I mumble in response, averting my gaze to my fidgeting fingers.

I hear a long sigh come from Lorenzo as he seemingly contemplates his next words.

"Parker, something clearly inspired this behavior. I hope you understand, not matter is too small for you to come to me." He explains.

I accept his words, deciding to be honest with why I was so upset.

"It's ju- just... I thought you... guys.. you know... for-forgot about me. I was scared with n- no one... with m-me. I felt... alone a-gain." I mutter, still looking at my hands as I roll them uncomfortably.