[37]

Before entering the castle like school in front of me, I drop my hand from Luca's grasp

Before entering the castle like school in front of me, I drop my hand from Luca's grasp. I don't want to embarrass him - who wants to hold their scared little sister's hand?

I follow Luca into the school like a lost puppy. I make sure to keep my eyes down cast, trying to avoid the ridiculous amount of stares sent our direction.

Without warning, the loud hallway falls silent as a door slams shut. I raise my gaze from the ground to realize we have arrived at the academy's office. I release a breath I didn't know I was holding.

Two hands are placed on my shoulders offering a reassuring squeeze as I'm guided infront of the receptionist's desk. I huff in defeat as I realize I must stand on my tippy toes to see over the abnormally tall desk.

Luca clears his throat to catch the attention of the lady typing away at her computer. Not being able to clearly see her, I notice the typing momentarily stop before a more feminine throat is cleared.

"Mr. M-Moretti.... umm.. What can I help you with?" The lady responds with a slight quiver to her voice.

Maybe it's also her first day.

"I need my sister's schedule." Luca responds impatience clear in his tone.

I decide now is a good time to make my presence know. So, I place my hands on the edge of the desk to help me balance while standing on the very tips of my toes.

"Hello." I say, peaking my head over the desk.

The lady's eyes snap in my direction and I notice her stiff posture relax slightly.

"Hi sweetheart, what's your name?" She gently asks, a smile wide on her face.

I gladly return the gesture, it's refreshing to be met with a not-so-intimidating face every once in a while.

"Parker Moretti." I respond eagerly. I don't fail in noticing a smirk appear on Luca's face through my peripheral vision.

I swear, all my brothers are obsessed with our last name. Maybe it has some deeper, hidden meaning.

"Well, it's nice to meet you Parker! I'm Ms. Roberts and I have your schedule right here." The lady I now know as Ms. Roberts exclaims.

She stands to hand me the paper, but before it can reach me, Luca snatches the sheet. I glare at him, as I jump to try and grab my schedule while he reads through it.

Eventually, Luca hands me the paper, but only after taking a picture of it. There is no doubt he's sending it to all our brothers. It's like they always have to know where I am at all times.

Internally rolling my eyes at the thought, I quickly read through my timetable and am left pleased with my classes. They seem simple enough.

The sound of the bell pulls me from my schedule as I look to Luca with an alarmed expression.

"It's just the bell, class has started." Luca nonchalantly states, shrugging his shoulders.

Of course, he doesn't care. He's probably late all the time.

"Luca! I can't be late on my first day!" I shriek in worry.

I grab Luca's arm, attempting to pull him out of the office but to no avail.

"Parker, sweetie, your teachers are aware that you'll both be a few minutes late today. No need to worry!" Ms. Roberts announces, not bothering to stop her typing.

I dramatically drop Luca's arm releasing a huff of air. He should have told me that before I freaked out.

"Let's go, I can walk you to your first class but, you'll be on your own for the rest of the day." Luca states, slowly guiding me out of the office.

I mutter an okay, as I am well aware the younger years are on the north wing, while the high schoolers are on the south. We only share the common areas like the dining hall and gym.

Now standing beside Luca outside the office, I gulp in nervousness. When the halls are quiet and empty, this historical building gives off an eerie feel.

Once again, I find myself trailing Luca through the twists and turns of the school. Suddenly, I stumble into his back. Guess we're here.

"Good luck, Parks. I see you at lunch." He says ruffling my hair affectionately.

Before I have a chance to argue, he knocks on the closed door and swiftly exits. Leave it to Luca to abandon me.

I hurry to fix my hair as the sudden opening of the door pulls interrupts me. An older looking man answers the door with a smile on his face.

"You must be the new student, come on in!" He bellows genuinely.

Despite the warm welcome from my teacher, I can't help but shrink back in anxiousness.

However, I take a deep breath and walk past his figure that holds the door open. I immediately divert my gaze to my shoes as countless pairs of eyes stare back at me.

"Class, this is our newest student. I know you'll all do your best to welcome and include her." The, still, unknown teacher announces.

The class remains silent as I look to our teacher expectantly. There is an awkward pause before he realizes action needs to be taken.

"Oh, how rude of me! I'm Mr. Levin! Please, introduce yourself to the class." Mr. Levin states, gesturing to my awaiting classmates.

I, once again, swallow my nerves and face the crowd.

"H-Hi, I'm Parker M-Moretti." I all but mumble.

Nevertheless, my voice was heard as the students collectively gasp before whisperings are heard. My brothers must have quite the reputation.

"Parker, you can go sit in the empty seat beside Braelyn." Mr. Levin tells me, completely ignoring the mummerings.

I nod my head and hastily make my way to the seat, wanting to get out of the spotlight as soon as possible.

Reaching the table, I notice two girls and one boy already seated. Placing my bag beside my chair, I slump in my seat, cheeks burning from unwanted attention.

Completely ignoring my surrounding, I don't raise my eyes from my fidgeting hands in my lap. I'm not sure how many minutes pass before a gentle tap is felt on my shoulder.

My gaze snaps to the person in question. A dark skinned face partially hidden by wavy hair greets me with a shy wave.

"Hi, I'm Braelyn. Mr. Levin said to work with our seat partner on the worksheet." The girl quietly states, as she slides me a paper of my own.

Risking a glance around the room, I notice the teacher busy at his desk while my other classmates work on the assignment. However, their frequent glances in my direction are not subtle.

"Why do they keep-p staring at me?" I whisper to Braelyn.

Her writing momentarily stops before she continues.

"Don't worry about it, you're just new." She whispers with a smile.

I decide to take her advice for the time being. Hopefully I can just get through this day without embarrassing myself.

[word count 1161]