[28]

As soon as everyone left with Parker to go to the hospital, I immediately went to her room

As soon as everyone left with Parker to go to the hospital, I immediately went to her room. I felt so useless watching the scene unfold. There was nothing I could do to help my poor sorellina. I got a terrible sense of deja vu when she mentioned she couldn't breathe, just like she had to me some time ago.

I racked my brain for anyway I could possibly help the situation and comfort Parker. My mind finally led me to retrieving that damned stuffed cow she cherishes. 

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with her seeking comfort in a toy. I just wish she would be able to seek comfort from us, me instead. Am I really jealous over a stuffed animal?

Entering her room, I am met with dullness. We really need to help her personalize it, make it feel more homely. It still looks the exact same as when she arrived, an ordinary guest room.

A frown replaces my emotionless face. I thought the cow would just be sitting on her bed. Where is it?

I feel my anger rising from the feeling of being useless. I can't even find her stuffed animal. What did she call it again? Herbert? Hamlet?

I begin tearring her room apart. My mind set on only one thing: finding her toy. I open all the drawers in her closet, throwing things on the floor in the process. I rip apart her bedsheets desperately searching. 

Parker's face flashes through my mind. Her telling me she can't breathe with terror in her eyes. I feel tears of rage fill up in my eyes.

I promised to protect her. I failed. I failed again as her older brother.

I sink into a seated position on her now messy bed. I let the tears run down my face. Not only have I failed her, but I also destroyed her room in the process.

Turning towards Parkers pillows, I attempt searching for her cow again. Lifting the pillow she sleeps on every night, I sigh in relief seeing the damn cow lying beneath.

I pick up the cow, holding it in my hands with my tears still falling and I laugh. I laugh over how ridiculous I probably look right now.

If you were to tell me a few months ago I'd be crying whilst searching for a stuffed animal I'd tell you that you're insane.

Footsteps at the door alert me I am no longer alone. Not bothering to wipe my tears, I look up to be met with Bruno. 

I watch as he takes in the room, probably thinking a hurricane came through here. Finally, his gaze lands on me. 

Noticing my tear stained face, his face softens as he comes to sit beside me. We sit in silence for a few minutes, just taking in each others company as we frequently do. I opt to break the silence, deciding I should explain myself.

"I failed her.... again." I say looking to the ground, too ashamed to meet Bruno's face.

I don't give him a chance to respond before I continue.

"So, I thought I'd help by fetching her cow." I chuckle out painfully. 

I toss the stuffed toy to Bruno for affect.

"But... I couldn't find it." I sigh, dropping my hands on my knees.

Bruno remains quiet, he's always been such a good listener.

"I lost my mind, and destroyed my sister's room all to find that toy" I laugh out while pointing to the cow now sitting beside Bruno.

I hear Bruno start to laugh beside me, a genuine laugh. I playfully shove him so he's now on his side. 

"What? It's funny what we'd do for our sorellina." Bruno says between breathes, still laughing.

I don't respond for awhile, letting Bruno calm down. I must have gotten lost in my thoughts because when I look up again, I see my twin standing infront of me.

"Come on, time to deliver Herman to our most prized possession of all." He teasingly says, shoving the cow into my chest.

So, Herman is it's name.

"Right, Herman." I say clearing my throat.

I look to the stuffed cow in my hands, shaking my head at the antics I just went through to retrieve it. Eventually, we exit the room, heading to the garage. 

On the way, I turn to my twin, "Bruno, we don't speak of this." I add, back to my stone cold facade.

Bruno's face pulls into a smirk.

"Never, my lips are sealed." He responds in a sarcastic tone.

Great, he'll definitely use this as blackmail.

---

Entering the hospital, I glare at anyone who dares to glance at the cow in my hands. I don't want them thinking I've gone soft just because I hold a child's stuffed animal. 

Walking through the hallways, we eventually make it to Parker's room. I once again get a terrible sense of deja vu. She just can't catch a break can she?

We are met with Luca exiting the room, seeing us he approaches.

"Hey, how's she doing?" Bruno asks from beside me.

Luca's smile indicates she must be doing okay. I visibly relax.

"She's doing good, Matteo is just being a mother hen and wants to monitor her vitals overnight. He also mentioned doing some type of allergie test, to know what she's allergic to." Luca responds.

As Bruno and Luca continue talking, I dismiss myself to enter Parker's room. I slowly slide the door open to be met with the sight of my sorellina in a hospital bed that practically swallows her whole.

My movement must have caught her attention because she looks to my direction. After realizing it's me and not some intruder, a smile breaks out on her face. 

"Ares!" she happily exclaims.

I return her smile. The joy she feels upon seeing me melts my ice cold heart. 

"Hey, Parks." I greet sitting at the end of her bed.

I keep her cow hidden behind my back, wanting to surprise her.

"I brought someone for you." I gently say, finally revealing her stuffed cow.

I watch her smile grow even larger. She lounges for her cow.

"Herman!" She happily shouts, hugging the cow close to her face.

Despite loving the sight of my happy sorellina, my smile falters when I once again remind myself she probably loves that thing more than me. I break my gaze, looking to the ground. 

Damn self-deprecating thoughts. 

Through my peripheral vision, I see Parker tuck her cow under her sheets. Then, without warning, I'm tackled into a bear hug. The culprit being Parker. 

Her tiny body does little to my large frame, I don't even move a centimeter. 

"Thanks Ares, I love you!" She whispers into my shirt, hiding her face in the process.

Pulling out of the hug, Parker goes to sit back towards her pillow. However, I don't let her. Now it's my turn to attack her with a hug.

With her back turned, I surprise her by scooping her into my arms. She squeals in delight as I position her so she's laying on top of me as I lay in her bed. 

"I love you more." I whisper kissing her forehead.

I wish I could hold her in my arms forever. 

[word count 1195]