{Chapter 6}

LEONARDO

"This country is going to shit," I said out loud, throwing myself back into my chair in frustration."Seriously, why are there only five applicants who are somewhat decent enough for Norah? And I can't just give her a decent man. She needs the best."

"But her requirements are so ludicrous," I said, taking up her requirement papers while holding them above my face. How am I to find a man that is strong enough to protect her but weak enough to follow her every word like a slave, has no intention of ever marrying anyone else once they marry her, but is willing to divorce her when she's ready to, and have a good reputation in high society and a high nobility ranking but isn't a class act whore. My hand fell to the side of my chair as I looked at the ceiling.

"Did she forget how despicable these people who live in this empire are?" I asked as I started thinking to myself. Maybe I really shouldn't have faked my death. I was the marquess's heir, after all. I could have possibly helped her out in some way.

"vice-captain... vice-captain... VICE CAPTAIN!"

I dropped my train of thought when I heard my subordinate call for me while banging on the door.

"Vice-captain, the boss wants to see you!" I got out of my chair and opened the door. "Thanks, Jason," I said, passing through the door's threshold and tapping him on the shoulder. I headed to the boss's room and stood before the vast doors of his office. I knocked on the door and waited until I had permission to enter. "You wanted to see me?" I asked, entering and closing the door behind me. "I did. what are you doing right now?" I sat in the chair before his desk and responded, "I'm looking at marriage candidates for someone."

Boss: " For whom?"

Me: "A friend of mine, Norah St. Elise."

Boss: "Norah St. Elise?"

He looked up from his paperwork to look at me.

Boss: " Isn't she engaged to the crown prince?"

Me: "Yup, but I'm guessing not for long since she asked me for marriage candidates."

Boss: "Is that so? Have you found any eligible candidates?"

Me: "Unfortunately, no. This kingdom is crawling with mostly garbage nobles."

Boss: "I'll handle it."

Me: "No thanks, she told me to do it, and you don't understand how scary Norah is when something is not finished right."

Boss: "You think I can't do this right?"

He started to glare at me.

Me: "I- I didn't mean it like in that way."

Boss: "In what way did you mean it then?"

Me: "Stop looking at me like that... it's scary 🥲"

He kept glaring at me, which chilled me to the bone, and I had no choice but to give in.

Me: "Fine, fine, you can do it, but you're going to tell her why we switched out... Loyd"

LOYD
"Why do these stacks of paperwork get higher by the day," I asked myself, entering my office. I went around to my desk, pulled out my chair, and had a seat. I started working on the stacks of papers that piled above my head. While working through the paperwork, I saw a report from one of my subordinates. He is tasked with keeping watch on the Royal family.

{The Report}

"Recently, the king has been ordering soldiers to raid villages to see if anyone has gold auras. So far, 14 people have died, nine adults and five children. The crown prince was spotted leaving Count St. Elise's County estate three days ago, visibly upset after conversing with Norah St. Elise. And lastly, the Queen hasn't left or invited anyone to her place in a month now."