New Friend

NORAH

"Good morning, my lady."

The voices of my maids woke me up. One pulled the curtains, and the other two helped me out of bed.

"The count wants to see you," Rose said, bringing water to wash my face. I rinse off my face with the water placed before me.

"What does that man want?" I asked, picking up my towel and patting my face dry. Marcy took my night dress off and started to dress me for the day. They tied the front of my hair to the back and let the back down. They put on me a red and white dress grandma had got for me with matching shoes.

"We're done, my lady."

I looked at myself in the mirror... I look beautiful.  I walked to the door and opened it. "Thank you, guys, for your hard work. I have a date two days from now, so please prepare everything for that." Before letting them question with whom I left. I know those girls pretty well, and if I stayed a bit longer and told them I didn't even know who my date was, they would protest it. I giggled to myself; I could imagine their expressions now. On my walk to the main building, I came across Ramona's flower garden. She loves this garden and boasts about it to everyone when people come over. I stopped and stared at the flowers, and a thought came to mind.

A grin started to form as I created basil, oleander, and hemlock to grow in between every flower. Luckily, I came across Ramona's garden today when she had an important guest. Known as the "whisperer of flowers" in high society, Lucinda Eron (only heir to Marquess Eron) rules the social world. This name knows her because she primarily conveys messages through flowers since she has an extensive knowledge about them and their meaning. Any noble lady should know what these three flowers represent (The basil for hate, the oleander for caution, and the hemlock for death), especially Lady Lucinda. She is easily offended, so everyone tries to be careful around her. The reason I'm ruining this meeting is because, in the past, Ramona used the influence of Lucinda to boost her social standing before they eventually stopped being friends later on. But I also know that before this meeting, Romona wasn't in good favor with Lucinda. So why not end any friendships that could bud?

I walked away from the garden and entered into the main building. I stopped one of the maids and asked her where the count was, but she brushed off my hand. I grabbed onto her shoulder and forced her to turn around.

"I'm pretty sure I asked you a question."

The maid tsked at my words.

"And why should I respond to you? I have important work to do-"

I slapped her in the face.

"Learn your manners and don't speak to someone more superior than you, like you are the master. You are a dog compared to me, not even a dog but the dirt on the ground I tread upon. I must be addressed as "my lady." Dirt like you should have respect, so next time, if your manners so much as slack for a second for you not address me as a master of this home, you will be punished by me personally. Am I understood?"

The shock hadn't yet dissipated from her when she answered, "understood, my lady." In the past, I was pushed around even by maids, and I be damned to let it happen again.

"Now, where is the count?"

"He's in the tearoom with the countess, my lady."

"Good job, who says you can't teach old dogs new tricks."

I went over to the tearoom and opened the door.

Me: "You needed to see me?"

Count: "Same bad manners as ever, Norah"