Chapter four

"Morning!" Kai waved at Billie from the poolside. She was scooping a net through the water, picking out the leaves that had blown in overnight. Billie waved back as she walked out onto the terrace and sat down with a coffee and her book.

"Would you like a coffee?" She shouted.

"No thanks, I've already had four." Kai laughed. "I'm buzzing right now, so I'd better not."

Billie watched her work in the morning sun, swiping the net from one side of the pool to the other. She tried to concentrate on the new book she'd bought at the airport but found herself distracted by Kai's presence, once again. She was statuesque, with toned arms and legs. She was attractive, natural and easy to talk to.

Billie continued to find herself worrying about what Kai thought of her, but most curious perhaps, was the strange feeling that spread throughout her core, each time Kai looked at her. She flipped the page and forced herself to concentrate on the story, but instead, her eyes kept wandering off to the poolside, where Kai was bending over, emptying the net into a wheelbarrow. When she stood back up and rolled her shoulders, her t-shirt crept up, exposing her belly. Billie stared at her flat stomach, trying to ignore the funny sensation she felt at the sight.

Looking at Kai had become her new favorite pastime, and although she had no idea why, she was pretty sure she could easily spend hours on the terrace while Kai was working. Stop looking at her. You're going to freak her out.

"Hop in!" Kai beeped the horn and opened the door to the Porsche convertible. Gumbo was in the passenger seat, his tongue hanging out, and his eyes wide in excitement.

"Are you serious?" Billie brushed the top of the red door with her fingertips, before opening it. "Do the owners let you drive this?"

"All part of the package, Bil." Kai winked. "Beats your corporate rental, doesn't it?"

Billie settled into the low seat with Gumbo on her lap, looking over the dashboard." She was pushed back into her seat when Kai stepped on the gas and headed towards the gate. Out on the road, Kai waited for the gates to close and put on her shades before taking a right turn, speeding up into the hills. Her outfit hadn't gone unnoticed. She had changed into jeans and a thin, grey t-shirt that hugged her in all the right places.

"You look like you were born driving this," Billie shouted over the noise of the roaring engine. "I don't think you have any idea how cool you look."

Kai turned to her and arched an eyebrow. "Well, I don't think you have any idea how great you look in it either, with your hair blowing in the wind."

Billie laughed and suddenly realized she was blushing. It had been years since anyone had complimented her, even though it came from the caretaker, who was clearly biased and possibly hoping for a good review. She turned her gaze towards the mountains on one side of the road, and the valley on the other. The sun came out from behind one of the fleeting clouds, creating a spectacular pattern of shadows and highlights over the green and yellow hills.

Kai took a turn and drove down a narrow road, slowing down as she went through the bends. Every now and then, a car would come from the opposite direction, forcing her to reverse into the roadside to let it pass. She was a good driver, Billie noticed, handling the car like a pro in the sharpest of bends.

"Lesson one," Kai said, waiting for a car to pass. "When you're driving in the mountains, the car going uphill always has the right of way."

"Thanks. I'll remember that." Billie winced. "I hope I didn't upset any of your neighbors."

"Don't worry. The people here are friendly. If they don't recognize your face, they'll assume you're a tourist and forgive you." Kai waved back at the other driver, who thanked her for letting him pass.