twenty-nine

The pool water was refreshing after hours of heavenly lovemaking in the heat of the night. Billie had her arms around Kai's neck and her legs wrapped around her waist as they kissed. She felt physically exhausted, but full of energy at the same time. Kai held her tight, moving towards the deeper end of the pool. It was dark, and the candles by the poolside painted a perfect picture over the garden of Villa Provence.

"I'm so glad you're here," Kai said in a soft voice. "It's more than I ever dared to hope for."

"I'm glad too." Billie stroked her cheek and placed a kiss on her nose. "I still can't believe I'm here again." She smiled. "So, we're really going to do this, huh? You and me?"

"Yeah. You and me." There was no doubt in Kai's mind. She wanted Billie with every fiber of her being. "Are you nervous about starting over? A new life, setting up a company in a country where you don't speak the language? Where you don't know anyone, apart from me?"

"Of course I am." Billie leaned back and dipped her head into the water before raising her gaze back to Kai. "I'd be lying if I said I wasn't nervous. But I'm also hopeful, and I feel like I can do anything with you in my life. I think I'll settle in pretty quick." She sighed, taking in Kai's face. She was gorgeous. "I'm going to take French lessons and I've given myself a one-year deadline to be able to speak basic French. Enough to get around and make small talk, anyway."

"Ambitious lady. That means we'll have to practice some more together." Kai frowned, suddenly more serious. "Did you tell your parents? About us?"

Billie nodded. "Yeah. I told my mom. It didn't go down very well." She shrugged.

"I thought about not telling them, just leaving them in ignorance. I don't see them that often anyway, and I'm sure I'd be able to wriggle myself out of their desperate matchmaking attempts." She smiled. "But then they wouldn't know the most important thing about me. And the most important thing about me is that I love you. I wanted them to know that."

"I get that." Kai traced Billie's mouth with her thumb, holding her face in her hands. "So, are you still on speaking terms?"

"Yeah. I think we are. They'll probably dodge the subject for all eternity but that's their choice, and I've made mine. I'll still visit them, and we'll talk about chickens and cornbread. Anything but that." She laughed. "I wouldn't be surprised if the whole church is praying for me again. The whole situation is beyond annoying but still, I'd like you to go there with me someday. I don't want to lose the ties, even though I have no connection with my hometown whatsoever. I want to show you where I grew up, where I'm from. Is it strange that I feel that way?"

"Not at all." Kai smiled. "I'd love to see where you grew up. Just give your parents some time. Just because mine never came around doesn't mean yours won't."

"Have you ever thought of going back to visit your parents?" Billie asked.

Kai shook her head. "No. They never contacted me, so I assume they feel like they're better off without me. My mother never begged me to stay when I told her I was moving to France either. But I came to terms with that a long time ago."

"I have another question." Billie seemed nervous as she fiddled with a strand of her hair. "I don't want you to think this is important to me, or feel pressured, but I've had some time to think while I was at my parents, and I was just wondering if..." She hesitated. "Well, I was wondering if you want kids. We never talked about the subject. Is it something you've thought about?"

Kai chuckled. "That's a loaded question. What if I give you the wrong answer?"

"There is no wrong answer."

"Okay. In that case, I suppose I would like to have a family one day. But if it doesn't happen, that's fine too. What about you?"

"I never wanted kids," Billie said. "But I feel different with you. It's the weirdest thing. I've even thought about what a great parent you'd be and I can picture us with kids."

"Really? You think I'd make a great parent?" Kai arched an eyebrow and smiled.

"Yeah. I do." Billie took a tighter hold of her. "But I'd like to enjoy this first, for a few years at least. Besides, I need to focus on the basics right now, like setting up my company and learning French."

Kai laughed. "Why not start straight away? Tu as faim?"

Billie frowned. "What?"

"Are you hungry?" Kai asked again, this time in English.

"Oh, right." Billie laughed. "I'll have to remember that. Tu as faim, you said?"

"Uhuh. Great pronunciation already."

Billie rolled her eyes. "Yeah, right. But to answer your question in English for now, yes, I'm starving. I haven't eaten since lunch on the plane, and I won't deny that my appetite's been fed by getting a taste of other things..." She winked.

"You poor thing." Kai shot her an amused look. "I'm so sorry, I didn't even offer you anything. Give me ten minutes and I'll heat up the food. I made some earlier."

"Oh, believe me, you offered me more than enough," Billie said, laughing. "But wait." She reluctantly let go of her grip on Kai and headed for the steps. "I'll do it. I'm starting over, so I might as well get into the habit of cooking. I'm determined to become as French as I possibly can." She grinned. "But you're welcome to help me because for now, I have no idea what I'm doing."

They both got out of the pool and were drying themselves off, when they heard barking coming from the annex. "Shit. It's Gumbo." Kai rushed over to open the door. "I was so surprised by your sudden arrival that I completely forgot he was still in there." Gumbo came tearing out and headed straight for Billie.

"Hey boy, I've missed you. I'm so sorry we forgot about you." She bent down to greet him but to her surprise, he jumped straight into her arms. "I think he missed me too," she said in a sweet voice, kissing his nose. "Are you coming into the kitchen with us, Gumbo? I'll make you some food too." Gumbo barked at the word 'food', and they laughed as they walked back to the main house with Gumbo sprinting ahead of them. Billie took Kai's hand, and savored the moment.

She was finally home...

-

A/N;

Is she really finally home or just a place to stay for the mean time? For now...I guess you'll never know lol

50 votes for the next chapter