Chapter seven

Billie got up from the terrace table and took her empty coffee cup into the kitchen, where she made herself another one. She was already halfway through her second book and had started to master the art of relaxation. It was a sunny day, and although it was only nine in the morning, the temperature was rising fast, leaving her sweating, even in the shade. She poured herself a generous amount of coffee from the filter machine and grabbed a bottle of cold water from the fridge, before heading to the pool.

"Hey there." Kai smiled at her from the annex terrace, where she was reading the morning papers. Gumbo came tearing up at Billie, greeting her with his typical enthusiasm.

"Morning." Billie waved at her before kneeling down to greet Gumbo. "You don't have to put the towels out for me, Kai. I can get them myself." She cocked her head, shielding her eyes from the sun. "I'm sure you've got better things to do than looking after me."

Kai shrugged. "Don't worry about it. How many times do I have to tell you, it's my job. Just enjoy yourself." She held her gaze as Billie took off her robe and lowered herself into the pool, shivering when the cold water hit her chest. She's so fucking beautiful. Billie dipped under and swam over to the edge where she came up, facing Kai.

"I feel bad, though," she continued, rubbing the water out of her eyes. "I've noticed you don't use the pool while I'm here. Is that because you're not supposed to? Because I don't care if you do, I'd be happy to share."

"Come on, Bil. I'm the caretaker." Kai laughed. "I can't just go splashing around here, it's unprofessional. Have you ever seen resort staff jump in the pool when you were on vacation?"

Billie laughed. "I wouldn't know, to be honest. I can't remember the last time I went on vacation. But it would make me feel better if you did. It's not like the owners are going to turn up out of the blue, right?"

Kai looked down at her paper, avoiding Billie's ocean eyes. "No. But that's not the point. I have a job to do here and besides that, I couldn't care less about the pool. I go to the beach with Gumbo every other day, and believe it or not, I actually prefer salt water to chlorine."

"Yeah, but still..." Billie stroked Gumbo, who was standing at the edge of the pool. "I don't see you as the caretaker. You feel more like a friend to me. I feel comfortable around you. Is it weird that I say that?"

Kai smiled and shook her head. "No, it's not weird. I like you too, and I like spending time with you."

"So, what's the problem then?" Billie knew she needed to stop going on about it. She didn't want to come across as annoying, but she was desperate to make a point.

"You really won't let it go, will you?" Kai stood up and rolled her eyes. She took off her t-shirt and her shorts, leaving her in a pair of white boxers and a matching sports bra. "Alright, if it makes you happy..."

Billie stared at Kai wide-eyed from the pool as she walked towards the edge and dove in. My God, that body... Billie was unable to keep herself from following Kai with her eyes.

"Happy now?" Kai asked when she resurfaced, swimming towards Billie. Billie felt her insides flutter at the sight of her wet hair, and the water dripping down her face.

"Yeah. I'm happy now," she stuttered.

"Good. Because I aim to please." Kai propped her elbows on the poolside next to Billie and gave her a broad grin. "So, you don't remember the last time you were on vacation?"

Billie shook her head. "Honestly, no."

She winced, digging through her memory. "The last time was in college, I think. I went to Hawaii with some friends. After Tristan and I got married and started the company, we couldn't afford to go on holiday. We were a start-up, desperately scraping together any funding we could get for our first production run. Later, when the company started doing well, we didn't have the time. So, I guess it's safe to say that it's been a while."