Chapter nineteen

"How's everything with your hot new lady friend?" Alain asked, wiggling his eyebrows.

"She's looking for a job," Kai said, leaning back in her chair. "She's considering taking on some high-powered job with a manufacturer in Singapore. It's ridiculous." Alain looked at her as if he had no idea where she was coming from.

"Why ridiculous? It's what she does. And you knew she was going to leave right? She's on holiday. It was always going to be like that."

"I know." Kai stared into her beer. "You're right. I know that, and it's fine."

"Then what's the problem? You're not in love with her, are you?" He sighed, narrowing his eyes at the sight of Kai's flushed face. "Oh my God, you are. Jesus, Kai. You've managed to stay as far away as possible from anything serious for the past three years and now you decide to fall for your blue eyed tenant?"

"I didn't decide anything," Kai said in defense. "It just happened. I thought I had it under control."

"When is she leaving?" Alain's voice took on a softer tone when he finally sensed Kai's desperation.

"In three weeks." Kai sighed. "Maybe it's best if I go away for a while, hire another caretaker for the time being. It feels like Selma all over again. No," she corrected herself. "It's worse."

"Whatever you do, you can't blame her, Kai." Alain leaned in and lowered his voice to make sure his male colleagues didn't hear their un-manly conversation. "She didn't trick you into this. In fact, I'd be willing to bet a hundred Euros that you were the instigator of this mess. Have you asked her how she feels about leaving?"

Kai shook her head. "That would be pathetic, like I'm begging her to stay. Besides, every time I bring it up, she cuts me off and changes the subject. I already offered her to stay in the annex with me if she wants to extend her holiday, but she can't commit to anything right now. Or maybe that's just an excuse. Maybe I really am just a holiday fling to her."

Alain rolled his eyes. "You women. Always beating around the bush and mulling things over in your heads until you get so confused that you start making things up. Why don't you just tell each other what's on your mind?"

"Isn't that supposed to be the deal with men?" Kai asked in a sarcastic tone. "Aren't they the ones who never express their feelings?"

Alain chuckled. "That's what women think. But in fact, we don't have much going on up here so there's not much to worry about." He pointed at his head. "Our priorities are different. Women, on the other hand, overthink things. Imagine two of you!"

"It's not that simple, Alain. No matter how much we talk, nothing's going to change the fact that she'll be leaving at the end of the month and if I don't keep my distance now, I'm going to be a mess again. Hell, I'm a mess already."

"You're not a mess." Alain patted her on the shoulder. "You're strong and attractive and a real catch. Everybody loves you, Kai. You'll have distraction from Billie in no time and within a year, you won't even remember her name."

"I don't know. Maybe you're right, maybe not." Kai managed a smile. "Anyway, let's talk about you. What's happening with my favorite sleazebag?"

"I've got a date tonight." Alain looked pleased with himself as he downed his beer in record time.

"You always have dates," Kai said. "What's so special about this one? And anyway, shouldn't you take it easy on the alcohol if you're planning on having a civilized conversation over drinks tonight? Or do you skip that step entirely nowadays?"

"I'll be fine." Alain pushed his glass away. "And no, I'm not going to skip getting to know her. I'm taking my date out for dinner because this one is special. But you're probably right, I'll stop drinking now."