Step 13: Endings Mark New Beginnings.

I really do not have anything against the number 13. 

My chapter 13s keep on getting sad and angsty :(

Knock knock,

"Yes?"

"Dr Mei, you called?" Xie Lian opened the door a tad bit and poked his head in. The office was neat and properly kept - with ceiling high shelves full of books on various subjects, an elaborate coffee machine and a large desk against one of the walls. The room was lamp lit but not dark, and a proud sofa set occupied most of the centre of the room.

"Ah, yes come in." Mei Nianqing gestured at a seat and continued with the pack of cards he was playing. "Just a second."

Xie Lian entered quietly and sat down at the seat at the desk opposite to his attending. He waited patiently while the senior doctor tried to wrap up the solo game of Emperor as fast as he could.

"I have read your report." Dr Mei said at last, pushing away the neatly arranged deck of cards before he could himself indulge into another game.

Xie Lian nodded.

"So, what do you think is the next step?" Mei Nianqing looked up at him.

Xie Lian sucked up a deep breath and said, "I had a few more sessions in mind. To slowly give some signs before ending the sessions all together, and see if my patient can take it well."

"On what grounds?" The tone of his voice was on the edge.

"Gut feelings, sir." Xie Lian confessed.

"Gut doesn't do the thinking Dr Xie, the brain does." Mei Nianqing said sharply. Xie Lian stiffened and twisted the red ring on his finger, an involuntary action now, whenever he is a bit nervous.

"I think he is good." He murmured.

"Xie Lian, look." Mei Nianqing sighed. "I have known you since you were a USG image. I have seen you grow up. And, I am very much aware of the rough situation you had gone through during your graduation. So I can say that I understand what you are going through right now. You are scared that your patient, Hua Cheng might do something reckless after you break the news to him all of a sudden."

Xie Lian remained still. He believed Hua Cheng would not do anything like that, but he did not want to argue with his mentor.

"Yes, he might be that type, you know him better than I do, but Dr Xie, we psychiatrists, are a bandage. Once the injury has healed, it is our job to loosen and let the patient fend for themselves now. A bandage should not be worn over no injury. That would lead to other complications."

Xie Lian kept quiet because he fully agreed with Mei Nianqing regarding this.

"So, as a good doctor, you should let go of your own insecurities and think for the patient's welfare. Coddling one patient just because he gives you a chance to mend your previous mistakes will be another disastrous mistake. And the world around him will not be so considerate as to warn him before a storm strikes."