Step 16: All paths are different but none bound.

A short angsty chapter.BUT THIS IS NOT OVER.Yes, we will have chapter 17.YAY!

CONTENT WARNING: SELF HARM

As far as Xie Lian could remember, the living room has always had late night parties. People from the upper strata of the society would fill the hallroom with sophisticated drapes of clothing and the smell of expensive perfume would hang heavy in the air. The calm yellow lights from Chinese lanterns would remain till the wee hours of the night. There were feather light clitter clatter of cutlery, or glasses as drinks and food was served, and soft chatters of the guests.

With the life of the party, the tall, eternally beautiful, talented pianist Xie La.

One look at her, and one would think she was content and satisfied - an established career, a healthy happy family and good friends. A bright smile, laughter which was unrestrained, her thoughts carefree. An outlook of life so positive and optimistic that it attracted people like moths drawn to flame.

With a flute of drink in one hand, and her skirt of her fluttery red dress lifted a bit with the other to show her heels, Xie La would twirl around her guests, talk to everyone with a contagious smile. And in periodic intervals, she would sit down at the enormous piano at the centre of the room, and play the classics of Chopin, Gould, and Liszt. But the guests were there for her originals which made even the most seasoned ears shiver with hot sensation.

Slow, with rapid intersections in between, keeping her listeners hooked on to her music. Merry and joyous melody mixed with the right amount of hurt and pain. Her music spoke of an unspoken longing, of which even Xie La was unaware. Her eyes closed whenever she performed, body swaying with the tune her long delicate fingers played, making the hall fall in pin drop silence, making the music seep into the skin to the very bones.

Sometimes, little Xie Lian would wake up in the dead of the night, and groggily search for his mother and stumble into the party.

But unlike many adults would just ask them to go back to their rooms, Xie La would cry with joy and grab his hand and gently pull him into the room and say, voice dripping with pride,

"My esteemed guests! Met my beloved son, Xie Lian! Ain't he cute?"

There would be nods of agreement. But when a ten year old is being introduced to a bunch of adults in his sleepy state of mind, he'd obviously be overcome with shyness. So Xie Lian would hide behind his mother's dress.

"A-Lian, introduce yourself." Xie La would urge Xie Lian in a patient singsong.

"H-Hello," Xie Lian would peep at the crowd from his safe spot and say, his voice hitching when he would try to speak louder, "I am X-Xie Lian."

"A-Lian, tell them what do you wanna be when you grow up?"

"I... wanna be a doctor."

"Hear that people? My baby will be the best doctor in this whole damn world! Better than his father!"